Transaction refunded before getting verified, but the money disappeared.

eethan
Contributor
Contributor

I bought an item from Havenshop.com, and before the transaction was verified, I called the store to have the shipment re-routed.

They suggested I re-order, since it was the only way, so they cancelled my first paypal payment before it could get verified. I saw the money go back to my account immediately. But after one day, the money disappears. 

On my paypal account, there isn't even history or anything that shows I had the first transaction(cancelled) so I'm worried if I'll ever get this back cause I can't dispute it. 

Should I be worried? or should I wait 2-5 business days for the money to be back?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal_RachelK

Hi @eethan,

Welcome to the community and thank you for your post!

I do understand your concern with this. When you attempt to make a payment, the amount can be temporarily charged to your bank/card. This is an authorization charge.

As the merchant cancelled your order and did not process it, the authorization would be cancelled and any funds temporarily charged would have been released. As the order was not processed, it will now show as a refund, simply the transaction will be removed from your account. 

If you check your PayPal balance, or bank/card you will no longer see the original transaction. This would mean it was successfully cancelled, and the funds were already released. This may take 3-5 business days to reflect on your account. 

I hope this helps!

- Rachel 

Login to Me Too

eethan
Contributor
Contributor

Just an update. It's been 3 weeks and I still haven't received the refund in my account. 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @eethan

Welcome back! I'm sorry you're still running into some issues on this transaction. I would recommend reaching out to your bank or card company to see if the initial charge ever ended up actually being charged or if it was just a preauthorization like Rachel was mentioning. If the first charge was completed, you may want to reach out to the merchant to check the status of the refund or see what refund options you have with your bank or card company. 

Good luck with this and future transactions!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.