Transaction doesn't complete but customer still sees an authorization

mikesay98
New Community Member

I have been having an issue for a while now. I have many international customers, most of them in South Africa. When they go to make a purchase (through my Shopify cart) they run into an issue where PayPal bounces the transaction back to the Shopify cart claiming information is missing. However, the customer still sees an authorization on their card and then emails me freaking out that they were charged but they never received their (digital) product. this happens many times per week and I'm worried that it is affecting my business as customers get frustrated or are afraid of completing the transaction (a second time) and getting charged twice. I always explain that the authorization is just temporary and it always falls off, but I don't understand why this keeps happening. I have video a customer sent me a while back about going to complete the transaction just to have it bounce back and ask for their Provence and then needing to go a couple extra steps to complete the transaction but at that point the authorization has shown up. I'm not sure what to do! Thank you.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Sean

Hello @mikesay98, Welcome to the Community and thanks for posting,

If your buyers are seeing authorisations and the transactions are bouncing back, it may have to do with the buyer's account. If we need to query a transaction, we will notify your buyer by email and they can resolve any queries in the Resolution Centre in their account.

If an issue persists, for safety and security, please contact our customer support team via Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/PayPal/, Twitter - @AskPayPal, chat or phone.

I hope this helps,

- Sean

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.