The buyer has accidentally paid the wrong account via the @ method

Hmm135
Contributor
Contributor

The buyer has accidentally paid the wrong account via the @ method. They have requested funds are returned to them, after no response, have since had their bank reverse the transaction (as instructed by PayPal, the mistake was raised with them immediately) and paid me. After about a week they have been told by PayPal that they are the value of the purchase in debt (with PayPal) and that debt collectors will be instructed should the account not be brought up to date. Can PayPal do this? All advice leads to getting the beneficiary's email address and contacting them for a refund. The problem is, we cannot find the email address on here, so what are we to do? Surely PayPal should be helping out to ensure that the funds are returned? Yes, it was a friends and family transaction which we all use incorrectly. Just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar and what the outcome was?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Hmm135 

I cannot tell exactly what’s going on.

But this is a thing that PayPal is doing lately. If sender sends a friends and family payment and then successfully disputes with their financial institution the money back, PayPal debits that amount back from the sender’s PayPal account.

PayPal just don’t like folks doing this and are finally doing something about it, I guess. So the sender has to pay it back to PayPal because there’s no buyer protection on friends and family payments. PayPal don’t want to be the one holding the bag because they have to let recipient have the money as recipient of the ‘gift’ payment.

Now the recipient needs issue a refund from within the original transaction. Or send the money back as f&f with money from their balance for the sender to resend the right amount. This is what’s supposed to been done from the start. Sender was supposed to get in touch with recipient asking for a refund  and recipient issues a refund so sender can correct the error by resending.

If the sender paid recipient again outside of PayPal or through another PayPal payment, recipient need to refund the initial payment to zero out the sender’s negative balance, yes? No?

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.