Suspected fraudulent charge - 402-935-7733

Rennieh
Contributor
Contributor

A charge for $12.73 has appeared on my bank statement citing "PayPal *Igottrade402-935-7733/VISA Purchase (non-pin) as the payee. There is no corresponding notation in my PayPal on-line records. This is my linked account.

I did a little research on line and found three totally different stories behind this. One says its a legitamate PayPal charge to cover insufficient funds in my PayPal account. Another says it is a scam and needs to be reported to both PayPal and my bank.

Which is correct? If it's ligit, why does it not show in my PalPal statement?

Login to Me Too
159 REPLIES 159

Lleelee4
Contributor
Contributor

slowly enough that you didn't hardly notice I assume?  I don't want to feel like an idiot because this has been happening for a long time, but in my situation, yes...somebody has my credit card number and uses the money right up when I transfer money from Paypal to that paypal MC. These are hackers who have nothing in life to do but figure new ways to take money from people. Even if you aren't sure you made a transaction, you probably didnt and it was probably a hacker.

Login to Me Too

h4jns
New Community Member

I found a charge on my recent card statment listed as PAYPAL *SUKROSONGGO followed by the number in question. THis card was listed as a funding source but the car expired in December of 2012. Repoerted the charge.

Login to Me Too

lauriesmith
New Community Member

I did not make those charges"! Someone hacked my account! What do I do!!!

Login to Me Too

Tag68
Contributor
Contributor

IF you used a debit card contact your bank and dispute the charge/charges. If you use a credit card contact your CC company and dispute those charges.  Of course, contact PayPal, and dispute there as well. I don't use PayPal and/or ebay anymore because they claim to be secure and they are not.  That is the only safe way, but you have to change what cards are on file with them so that inifo isn't available to anyone - in other words cancel your card info with them, etc. 

Login to Me Too

Robert-in-CA
New Community Member

Not so fast on saying transactions with phone number 402-935-7733 are probably legitimate.  On 12/28/2016 I got a charge to my VISA credit card from "PAYPAL *PROSPEROUSA". This credit card is not linked to PayPal, so PayPal wouldn't be charging to it.  I have a positive balance in my PayPal account, so there wouldn't be a need to make a transfer to cover a PayPal account deficit anyway.  Finally, I did not place an order on that date.

Login to Me Too

lschwarcz
New Community Member

I too found a few of these funny charges on my charge card statement for amounts that I couldn't find on my PayPal statement. But, when I looked further I discovered that in my case they were all legitimate charges.

What happened with me is that I would buy something for $82 (made up amount for this example) and I would pay for it with the balance I had in PayPal of $60 and the remaining $22 on my charge card. This $22 amount is the funny amount I would see. I didn't see this amount in my PayPal on-line statement but if I looked at the transaction details for the transaction on that date I would see the two individual amounts ($60 and $22) and their sources.

So I can't say that all of the incidents here are legit or not but in my case they were.

Just my 2 cents (+/-).

Larry.

Login to Me Too

LorryMarie
Contributor
Contributor

The strange amount may be the net between the eBay auction amount and any credits like eBay Bucks used to offset the total due -- only the balance due posts to the credit card.

It threw me, too, until I clicked on a transaction dated one day earlier and the details showed me what had happened.

Login to Me Too

4thefun
Contributor
Contributor

What is the phone # [Removed]

Login to Me Too
Solved

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

See this info:

https://www.theinternetpatrol.com/are-you-showing-a-mystery-charge-from-402-935-7733-via-paypal-in-y...

www.theinternetpatrol.com wrote:

If you have been reviewing your bank records or credit card statement, and have found what you believe to be an unauthorized charge or charges that shows “Paypal” and the phone number 402-935-7733, take a deep breath, and relax. It may not be what you think. Here’s what that transaction really is.

This is how it appears on your bank statement or credit card transactions when you pay for something via Paypal, or something is otherwise charged to your Paypal account (such as through an automatic transaction, or using your Paypal debit card, for example), and you don’t actually have enough in your Paypal account to cover the charge.

Remember way back when, when you signed up for Paypal, and you had to provide a bank account or credit card as a backup billing method? That’s what that charge is. It is Paypal using your backup billing method to cover the shortfall because you dont’ have enough in your Paypal account.

We agree that they do a poor job of making that clear (and to be fair, it may be out of their hands in terms of how it shows up on your statement). But that’s what that charge with the phone number 402-935-7733 is.

Now, all that said, if you don’t have a Paypal account, or have not used it during the time that the transaction occurred, or otherwise don’t remember a purchase that correlates to that entry on your bank statement, by all means you should contact your bank, as it’s still entirely possible that it is fraudulant.

Login to Me Too

Rennieh
Contributor
Contributor

@snowshoe wrote:

See this info:

Excellent! Thanks.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.