Suspected fraudulent charge - 402-935-7733

Rennieh
Contributor
Contributor

A charge for $12.73 has appeared on my bank statement citing "PayPal *Igottrade402-935-7733/VISA Purchase (non-pin) as the payee. There is no corresponding notation in my PayPal on-line records. This is my linked account.

I did a little research on line and found three totally different stories behind this. One says its a legitamate PayPal charge to cover insufficient funds in my PayPal account. Another says it is a scam and needs to be reported to both PayPal and my bank.

Which is correct? If it's ligit, why does it not show in my PalPal statement?

Login to Me Too
159 REPLIES 159

4thefun
Contributor
Contributor

Thats what I suspected. Did my research in 5 min. and found the answer. [Removed] being Paypal customer service. That is the reason for being CERTIFIED on Paypal. By having both a  #1 A checking acct.  #2 A charge card.  When you buy using Paypal you can choose the option of your checking acct. or your charge card. It is always the wise choice to use a credit card. You are in most cases not liable for puchases not made by you. It is also wise to keep a low credit amount card just for Paypal & also keep only what you need, with a buffer of course,  in your checking. Also set up alerts in all accts you use for online purchases. They email you almost immediately after the charge. Banks do it daily. I tried a check on these alert setups and found that when my email sent an alert for a certain card I called my wife and she was still at the station where she had purchased gas. That Fast!!!

Login to Me Too

Lexihexi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, A year later I read your post. I did exactly as you stated, used low credit card for PayPay to make purchase & having ASAP alerts on main accounts! Still, someone got a hold of my main credit card, no relation to linked card, &went seriously shopping. Luckily I check statements daily, reported this, the delivery was intercepted, I had no monetary lost but....in spite of having sheriffs ofc. Involved, I still don't know who did it, where my statements went, credit is f;:$ up on all 3 bureaus......still trying to have whoever uses the low interest card found and charged. I'm not paying a dime bc than I'd assume responsibility, per detective . It's a nightmare. How do I get out of this??? All started here.....sorry to say.

Login to Me Too

barnstablerw
New Community Member

I too had a questionable charge.  I was looking at my MC online bill and saw a VERY large charge on my credit card. I immediately called my bank to dispute this.  While on with the bank I looked at other charges that seemed unfamiliar.  One was a Paypal to Katrina.  It seems as if the person who got my CC information was testing it on this "soft" charge before trying for the 10K+ charge that was on my account. Both charges were reversed by my credit card bank.

Login to Me Too

Sammie77
Contributor
Contributor

I had $5.00 taken from my account on 8/22-13.  PayPal put the money back 9/21. It showed as "Donation"

**bleep** Bites

Login to Me Too

Maxia

The same thing happend to me just today also, with $50.98 which is kinda huge. So i called my bank, and they said i need to wait to proceed the transaction and i have to contact the number with this 402-935-7733. Weird thing is the transaction doesnt appear on my paypal account, but my bank account. So i cant say what the hell is going on... 

Paypal need to do something with explanation or something pls. If this is from paypal, this is so embarassing

Login to Me Too

Chrigi
New Community Member

Just went through my credit card statment and saw a charge I didn't remember associated with this phone number. I checked my PayPal account and saw that it was a payment that I made through PayPal to a subcontractor of mine. All legit in my case.

Login to Me Too

johnnycalgary
Contributor
Contributor

You have to do your homework because credit card companies are quite lazy.

Some vendors use Paypal without knowing it, such as Calgary Public Library when you pay fines online.

No one at VISA could tell me it was the Library, as it says Paypal ** CALGARY PUB [removed]

We think it's been hacked in a bar/pub, and the VISA attendants are not helpful at guiding us to think outside of the box.

So google the vendor's name, call a few places and you may see that your card was not hacked.

Login to Me Too

DrGeneNelson

In my case the eight characters that PayPal supplies when they debit the linked account are inadequate. I spotted what I thought to be a fraudulent transaction via the online statement for the linked account.  I request that PayPal allow more than 8 characters to help completely identify payees. In my case, I thought I had a fraudulent transaction. Instead, my wife had made a payment to a vendor that uses PayPal as an intermediary. (Microsoft exceeded the 8 character field limitation in file names about two decades ago.)

Login to Me Too

Sammie77
Contributor
Contributor

I just go in and remove my payment info after I complete a transaction. Add it back when I need it

Login to Me Too

jazzlove
Contributor
Contributor

Now to add a plot twist: a friend of mine does NOT have a paypal account and she has received a $50.00 charge on her visa titled "Paypal

402-935-7733 Shannongg". All of the info I have read up above makes sense, but the fact that she doesn't have an account with paypal makes it very suspicious. 

She will be contacting her credit card company. Should I also file a report with PayPal?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.