Suspected fraudulent charge - 402-935-7733

Rennieh
Contributor
Contributor

A charge for $12.73 has appeared on my bank statement citing "PayPal *Igottrade402-935-7733/VISA Purchase (non-pin) as the payee. There is no corresponding notation in my PayPal on-line records. This is my linked account.

I did a little research on line and found three totally different stories behind this. One says its a legitamate PayPal charge to cover insufficient funds in my PayPal account. Another says it is a scam and needs to be reported to both PayPal and my bank.

Which is correct? If it's ligit, why does it not show in my PalPal statement?

Login to Me Too
159 REPLIES 159

BevTech
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, They didn't get into my PayPal account, what they did is use my Card no. that they stole, and when they used it to Pay FanFuel.com (which I have never used) they paid them with a one time PayPal transaction, that's how I noticed, from my bank statement, both FanFuel.com and PayPal were listed as who my stolen money went to/thru. That is when I called PayPal and explained. Again, even though it doesn't fix the problem, PayPal did credit my account within 2 days, then they conducted their own investigation. So the person had no access to my PayPal account what-so-ever, they just stole my credid/debit card. What helped me get my money back so fast, is that they used PayPal. So thank you for that PayPal.

Login to Me Too

Hawk114
New Community Member

I  had a charge for $136.99 show up on my statement with ID GREATLAKESP

[Removed] MI.  At first I did not recognize that ID however it turns out to be a legitimate charge of mine for some tools I bought from Great Lakes Power Tools.  The telephone number is simply a Pay Pal administrative number for that client to  handle any questions about the specific charge paid by Pay Pal.  Fortunately in this case it is legit.

Login to Me Too

Jeloda
Contributor
Contributor

I have been getting missed calls from this phone number for two days.  I like to Google Search the phone numbers that I don't recognize, which is how I found this thread... Two days ago I made a purchase using Paypal, but in no way is this

[Removed] phone number associated with my purchase... They don't leave a voicemail and so far I haven't been available to answer it. Although at this point, not sure if I should? So far no weird charges on my bank or paypal accounts.

Login to Me Too

Tag68
Contributor
Contributor

The number is from ebay's  paypal customer service department. They may want to ask you about an order or a transaction on your paypal account.  You need to correct any mistakes and this number is only their customer service number as I just explained. 

Login to Me Too

Manaphy2007
New Community Member

i had that happen to me on the 6th of march 2014 and the charge was almost $75 for an item called The Division via ebay, the only "The Division" is an upcoming game from Tom Clancy by Ubisoft. i had to make a dispute with paypal explaining everything and within hours paypal resolved the case and i got a full refund. tried to do some reaserch on name called warren barnes but got nothing. i just hope you all check your reports and verify so that this doesnt happen or if it does, make a dispute to get it resolved.

Login to Me Too

tgusnik
New Community Member

I have the same charge this month but it was for an auction item I purchased through eBay.

Login to Me Too

jenniferegbert
New Community Member

This is the Fraudulent Charge phone number for PayPal.  I just paid for 3 different transactions and this is the number that they call from to verify the charge.  Its legit.

Login to Me Too

buyerkms123
Contributor
Contributor

the phone number is paypal's, but on a bank statement, the "seller" is listed.  in my case, it was HYZSHOP

Login to Me Too

jcmoore
New Community Member

There is only one problem.

PAYPAL *STARRALI786

Purchase Date: 4/29/14
Category: Miscellaneous/Bill Pay (BP)

Looks legit.  My last transaction on Paypal was 4/17.

Had to cancel the card.  This transaction showed up nowhere in my Paypal acct.
Login to Me Too

Tag68
Contributor
Contributor

The first thing you should now do is call PayPal and ask who and what that charge is for and from where, IMMEDIATELY. They should have a complete record of who the seller/buyer is on that account.  IF it is not a legit purchase you've made then file a complaint with them for a frauulent charge and identity theft.  They SHOULD act upon it, but check back to make sure they do.

Kudo's for canceling your card -good move.  Good luck

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.