Suspected fraudulent charge - 402-935-7733

Rennieh
Contributor
Contributor

A charge for $12.73 has appeared on my bank statement citing "PayPal *Igottrade402-935-7733/VISA Purchase (non-pin) as the payee. There is no corresponding notation in my PayPal on-line records. This is my linked account.

I did a little research on line and found three totally different stories behind this. One says its a legitamate PayPal charge to cover insufficient funds in my PayPal account. Another says it is a scam and needs to be reported to both PayPal and my bank.

Which is correct? If it's ligit, why does it not show in my PalPal statement?

Login to Me Too
159 REPLIES 159

Tag68
Contributor
Contributor

I realize this post is late, but, just in case you've never found an answer to your unknown charge to  your card and you don't have an account with paypal, means that the person with whom you did buy something DOES have a paypal account and they've sent the payment, etc. through paypal, so paypal, account or not with you, is handling the transaction!  Did you buy something from ebay froma person named Shannon?

Login to Me Too

Millsan
Contributor
Contributor

I just found a $325 charge on my credit card.  The vendor description was:

PAYPAL *HAPPYGOSIEK [Removed] CA

[Removed]

[Removed]

I checked my Paypal account and there was NO transaction made.  I'm assuming they just had my credit card number and used 'Paypal' as a diversion??

Very frustrating to think these people get away with it !!

Login to Me Too

camarahobbies
Contributor
Contributor

We just got hit with a fraudulant cahrge by

MARK PAYPAL

San Jose CA

Last time we used the card was nearly a year ago in South Carolina and North Carolina before that, both for hotel stays only.

So appently that is where he got the number. so if you've been hit by this guy it's probably because you used your card for room reservation and payment at a motel or hotel like Quality Inn or Comfort Inn

Login to Me Too

Dubioustofu
Contributor
Contributor

I, too had this charge charged with same phone number and from paypal. As follows: 01/05 10:32 PAYPAL *PC S ONLINE 40293577 MN-$7.95 01/05 10:32 PAYPAL *PC S ONLINE 40293577 MN-$7.95 01/05 10:32 PAYPAL *PC S ONLINE 40293577 MN-$9.95 01/05 10:32 PAYPAL *PC S ONLINE 40293577 MN-14.95 I cannot find the transaction in my paypal account send to anyone and was charge directly from my debit card. I backtrack my previous transactions... Which I only use with two websites and totals don't add up to any amount I found. What do I do to pursue these charges as fraudulent and get my money back?

Login to Me Too

BevTech
Contributor
Contributor

Contact PayPal, and explain, I too had this happen, and the charge did not show in my PayPal Acct., and the scammer used the card # I had listed for my backup. What I didn't understand, is how was someone allowed to use my card that was already on file with PayPal? And the thing is, I had never had to use my backup. But I caught it less than a day after the transaction, so the charge was still just pending in my bank acct. and hadn't gone through yet, and PayPal just stopped it completely. So after, I went to my bank and they looked at it, and turns out, the person also tried to charge several other things too, totaling about $1500.00, but my bank caught it, and didn't allow the charges. thank you US Bank, thank you PayPal!

Login to Me Too

denijo
New Community Member

happened to me too. opened a dispute with paypal...

Login to Me Too

SCarole
New Community Member

I noticed this phone number on some charges that went through my bank account, not through PayPal. While the phone number is actually for PayPal, the charges were in fact fraudulent. I have started the legal process with my bank and PayPal both who let me know someone has been using my information to purchase as a guest via PayPal. 

Sellers were notified and soon the criminals will be too! 

If this number shows up on your account and you are not sure what it is for, simply call PayPal directly and they can tell you who used the card, for what and when. They used the mobile app to purchase, so that helps them be tracked even further. Who says nice guys always finish last?! Thanks PayPal for tracking them down and getting my $ back!

Login to Me Too

Sammie77
Contributor
Contributor

Hello all,

Fortunately I have not had any problems since the $5.00 charge a few months ago. I started removing my Credit/Debit Card from PayPal after each transaction. And just add it back in when I need to use it. Don't know if that helps or not. But If a transaction takes place when my card is not on my PayPal Account, it definately would be a problem!

Login to Me Too

BevTech
Contributor
Contributor

It had nothing to do with your card registered in paypal, Anyone who gets a hold of someones card info from anywhere just uses the one-time Paypal option when they purchase something, that's why you see Paypal as the payee in your bank statement. Paypal needs to monitor their system better, cause if they did, they would have noticed that the card the fraudster used was indeed already registered with them in my account. It's like when you join something and they won't let you use a username that you chose cause it is already being used by someone else, If they do that just for a username, you would hope that the same would apply for something as critical as a bank card. But not in my case, they let them use my card I had already registered with Paypal. And I know they didn't use my name/account, cause it would have shown in my Paypal account if they did. At least Paypal took care of it within 48 hrs.

Login to Me Too

anhphil
New Community Member

Thank you for your post. I experienced the same automatic withdrawal from my PayPal account. This has become, almost, frequent in my daily living. Be advised.

Thank you.

Phil

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.