Seller is asking for screenshot of PayPal transaction before shipping item

fond_inc
Contributor
Contributor

I'm buying an item. This is the message I've received from my seller:

This is the first time I have a sale on this. Can you please confirm payment by showing me a screenshot of the Paypal transaction. I don't have the funds in paypal yet and just want to confirm the transfer.

Is there any risk in this transaction. I might cancel it until I get an answer.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@fond_inc 

If you indeed sent payment and have the transaction ID number, you can give them that so they can call PayPal customer service to make inquiries, if seller do not see the payment for some reason in their account. 

For new sellers, payments may be subject to PayPal holds but they should still see a record of payment if payment is really sent and the funds are on hold in their pending PayPal balance granted there is no technical glitch or PayPal review of the payment that's causing the delay.

Maybe they forgot to confirm their email address since they are a new seller.

If you received this email from seller and had not sent payment yet, then that's the cause of course. Once you send payment, the seller will be notified and if they have not confirmed their email address, PayPal will tell them to confirm email address to accept/claim payment in the PayPal notification email to seller.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

b215
Contributor
Contributor

Still not sure if it is safe. Can they access my account to take more funds? What can they use the information for?

Login to Me Too

Crain21
Contributor
Contributor

I got the same request from a seller today. I’ve never had a seller ask for this before and I see no reason to provide it when he will be notified through his PayPal account when the funds hit his account. I don’t know if it’s a scam or not but it feels like a scam. First of all, the seller provided a completely different email address as his PayPal email address and secondly, he was just too accommodating. He initially was asking a ridiculous price on the item he was selling. I offered him less than half and he accepted. I learned when it’s too good to be true, it probably isn’t true.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Crain21 

If its showing as PAYMENT or COMPLETED in your paypal account then you have paid.

If they want confirmation then click on the transaction in YOUR paypal account and send them the transaction id of the payment.

DO NOT screenshot anything. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Crain21
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks much
Login to Me Too

Ki12arwo3
New Community Member

I had the same experience where the recipient was insisting on  screen shot. Thank you. I really appreciate your advice.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.