Refunded to stranger’s discover card

Janie-30
Contributor
Contributor
I returned an item I ordered online but returned in a store. The store credited a discover card. I do not have or ever had a discover card.
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_JonK

Hello @mikeofmc and everyone, 

Welcome to the PayPal Community Forum! I can certainly understand how there could be some confusion seeing Discover at the bottom of your receipt when you've used PayPal as the funding source in-store. The reason you see this is because PayPal uses the Discover network for certain merchant's in-store payment solutions. So while the charge will still be charged to the proper card you've setup for in-store checkout, as well as any refunds if necessary, you may still see it reflect as "Discover-XXXX" at the bottom of your PayPal receipt. This doesn't mean you have a card or account with Discover. 

I hope that clears things up!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
32 REPLIES 32

NasirB
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @Janie-30.

Kindly note that due to banking regulations, all the refunds would be processed to the card which was used while making the purchase. However, as the refund is processed by the merchant, you can get in touch with them for further clarification about this. Thank you! 

Stay safe and have a great day! 
Nasir

Login to Me Too

Janie-30
Contributor
Contributor
Please note my message. I DO NOT HAVE A DISCOVER CARD. YOU CAN CHECK MY PAYPAL ACCT AND SEE MY CARD ATTACHED TO IT ANDVIT IS NOT A DISCOVER CARD.
Login to Me Too

Janie-30
Contributor
Contributor
I just got a hold of Kohl’s. It was on their end. Sorry and thank you
Login to Me Too

Temp20231024CM
New Community Member

Hello - I literally JUST had the same experience today.  I bought boots from Kohls, paid with PayPal. They were a little small, so I took them to Kohls today to return them.  They processed the refund, and she handed me a printout and said "the amount went back to your Discover card."  And that's what it showed on the printout.  "But I don't own a Discover card. Only a VISA."  Clerk treated me like a confused idiot, who must have too many cards to remember which one I used. I have TWO major VISAs, PayPal, and a Kohls card. So, not an idiot. At least, today. 🙂       I've tried to call PayPal to simply ask "Do PayPal refund transactions sometimes appear/or get processed thru Discover?"   I can't reach anyone at PayPal to ask.        I did initiate the purchase thru a shoe website, (like Zappos, or Naturalizer.com), and was shown the link to the shoes at Kohls.com, and didn't want to lose them (logging into my Kohls account - and I would have bought it with my Kohls card then) so I'm doing little checking to see if the website has some link to Discover.   You are not alone. 

Login to Me Too

SwimMC
Contributor
Contributor

Was what the result of your call?? I had the same issue today; ordered online, returned to the store with the refund going to "Discover."  I finally called Kohl's, but she said even though it was showing 'refunded to Discover,' it would still go back to my PayPal account.  I do not have any indication that a refund has been made or in process.  Should I call Kohl's back?

Login to Me Too

ShayliF
Contributor
Contributor
This also happened to me yesterday. I called kohls and they told me using PayPal it always says a discover card and will be credited to my PayPal account, which I was yet to see yet. I’m getting annoyed because it was $60
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Meghan

Hello @SwimMC, @ShayliF, and everyone! 

Thanks for stopping by the Community! 

I'm sorry you're having trouble with recent refunds not showing the correct payment method. When refunds are processed through PayPal, they will always be returned to your original payment method. If you paid using a bank or card, you should see the money in your account in an average of three to five business days. However, some financial institutions can take up to 30 days to reflect the refund on your statement. You can learn more about refunds on our Help Center here: Where is my refund?

I hope this helps to clarify the situation. 

- Meghan

If you found this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution. While browsing, feel free to reply if you see a question you know the answer to. Our Community Users make the PayPal Community Forum! 
Login to Me Too

CharBear31
Contributor
Contributor
Did the return ever show up? I'm having the same problem.
Login to Me Too

ShayliF
Contributor
Contributor
I contacted Kohl’s multiple times and they told me that the refund would go back onto my card which was not the Discover card. It never did so I finally contacted PayPal and they refund in the amounts that Kohl’s should have. Needless to say I’m never using PayPal on kohls or ordering off of Kohls.com again
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.