Refund for suspended website account

Plantasia
Contributor
Contributor

I purchase a website review subscription. I tried asked a group who wants to share with me and the website seller found it and suspend my account. It wasnt in the terms and condition that it is not allowed to share account. I have tried it with other reviewer with my friend before. But the seller insist it was. He send me a copy of the newly edited terms which is different from what I have. He insisted not to return my fee and blame me for the terms that didnt exist. Will I able to ask for refund I bought the subscription through paypal? I have only used the 400usd subscription for a month and the seller refuse to return my account and start blaming me with a term that didnt exist before and just made up. I have proof of before and after terms which he edited and keep saying it as my fault when in fact I havent read it in the terms in the first place.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Plantasia 

PayPal buyer protection terms are too specific and restrictive to cover your grievance, imho. Though you can still open a dispute to negotiate a solution with the seller, such as, a issuing pro-rated partial refund of the days not used but if seller disagrees to that, and the case is escalated to involve PayPal to make a ruling, it’s not such a cut and dry case. 

You won’t be successful with an item not received, or unauthorized activity claim so the only option is to file ‘significantly not as described’ and PayPal will look at it as you paying for a subscription and receiving a subscription, as opposed covering the expectations of the subscription or warranty the subscription.

If PayPal rules in your favor, hopefully, they realize it’s a subscription and not a physical good that you have to return the item in order to get a refund.

I believe it’s the best interest for the seller to issue a pro-rated partial refund to resolve the matter upon termination of the account. On the other hand, ethically/philosophically do you blame the seller for their reaction to discovering of your behavior? You shouldn’t have been sharing the service because if you were selling a service would you naturally be ok with sharing, regardless if it’s in the terms prohibit it or not?

That said, if PayPal does not rule in your favor, and you paid with credit card, you may try a chargeback instead where the terms are more broader than PayPal’s. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.