Refund completed, but not received

Uralowl
Contributor
Contributor

I know this is likely a common issue, and this is something that has happened to me before, but not too often.

I asked to cancel an order on a website about a week ago now. They responded letting me know it was cancelled and refunded. I did receive an email from PayPal stating it was refunded, and the refund shows as complete in my activity. I still haven't received my refund to my PayPal balance or my original payment method (bank account) however.

I contacted PayPal and they assured me the refund would "instantly" be completed once the money had been taken from my bank, as it hadn't actually been reflected in my bank account at the time the refund was issued. The money has since been taken, but it's been over 24 hours now, and I'm still waiting on the refund.

Is this anything to be concerned about?

Many thanks for anyone who takes the time to respond

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Uralowl 

Pending refunds can only happen for two reasons.

1. The seller has issued a refund from their bank account which takes time to process.

2. You funded the payment to the seller using bank transfer. What PayPal do here is credit the recipient on your behalf (so there is no delay in despatching your item). Then if you receive a refund in the meantime they are unable to issue this until the original bank transfer completes.

https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/i-want-a-refund

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Uralowl
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass 

Thanks for the reply.

I believe it's the 2nd reason in my case, as I mentioned, when the refund was issued, the money hadn't actually been taken from my bank yet. However, it's been 2 days now since it cleared from my bank, and I still haven't received the refund. The PayPal customer service rep I spoke to told me I should get the refund "instantly" once the payment has cleared, so I'm a little concerned the refund still isn't showing in my bank or in my PayPal balance. Is there any timeframe on when it should be available?

The link you provided brings me to a page stating "The page you're looking for is no longer available" unfortunately.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Uralowl 

It wouldn't be instant as your bank transfer goes as an echeque and takes 5-7 days to clear through to paypal who will then process the refund back to you. 

https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/article/where-is-my-refund-faq1212

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.