Recipient cannot withdraw the money I sent

geojoha
Contributor
Contributor

Recipient in South America cannot withdraw the money I sent...she says paypal demands the number of a bank account of her, but she doesn´t have one.....so the account is blocked and she can´t withdraw the money and not even send it back. I contacted paypal here: they say that only the recipient can send the money back. Paypal there said: as long as there is no account number everything is blocked.....so what now? Does paypal want to keep the money till the end of all times? Thank you for an advice what should be done is such a situation 

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@geojoha 

May help if you said which country the recipient is in?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

geojoha
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for answering: she is living in Venezuela. Paypal asks for an invoice with her name and address....but: no invoice for rent because living in her own apartment, no invoice for electricity because nobody pays for that in Venezuela, no invoice for water as it must be bought on the street from lorries....so what can be done? 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@geojoha 

Looks as if you can only withdraw to a U.S bank account in Venezuela.

If she does not have one then she would have to spend the funds from her balance.

https://www.paypal.com/ar/webapps/mpp/withdrawal-options

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

geojoha
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, and thank you for your answer....may be I didn´t describe the problem in the right way. She can not only not withdraw money cash, but the whole account is blocked. She can´t spend the money from her account -as you mentioned- , she can not even send the money back or reject the payment. No invoice, no availablity of the money in whatever way: will the money now stay there for ever? What if she would give the order to close the accout? That could be normally only done, when it´s empty....would the existing money be sent back to the sender? Thanks for an answer:)

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@geojoha 

How did you send the funds, friends/family or goods/services?

How did you fund the paypal payment?

Most importantly what does it say on the transaction on your paypal account?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

geojoha
Contributor
Contributor

Money was sent as "private"....there were other payments in the past, never big amounts, but may be because of that paypal thinks there might be a comercial background, but there is not. The transfers always were made from private funds, I don´t have any company or any other business background. In case paypal thinks the transaction is not "private", they should simple cancel the transaction.....but leave it on an account that is blocked, doesn´t help anybody....I read something that some transactions are cancelled after 180 days and the money is sent back: would that be the case here? Or would it help to close the account of the recipient.....would the credit be sent back?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@geojoha 

Sorry never heard of funds being sent as private, you either sent it using goods/services or friends/family.

Can't advise until you state which it was.

Also you haven't said how you funded the paypal payment OR what it says on the transaction on your paypal account.

So basically you haven't answered any of the questions that I asked so I could help you try and recover your funds so sorry can't help you. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

geojoha
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, as I am not a native speaker, may be I didn´t understand your questions

1) Money was sent as "friends/family"

2I what means "how you funded the paypal payment"? Where the money came from? Private funds. How I did the payment: with a credit card

3) what means "what it says on the transactions"? In the account I see just "Money sent to "  name of the recipient and date of transaction

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@geojoha 

ok if its saying SENT then it has successfully transferred to the person you sent it to and they have received it to an open and valid account.

If they have any limitations on their account OR they can't withdraw the funds they would need to contact customer services.

As you sent it using the friends/family option then unfortunately you can't get the funds back unless they sort there account out and issue you with a refund.

If you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then you can ask your card issuer to do a chargeback but they may refuse as it was a friends/family ie gift payment.

Be careful as scammers ask you to send as friends/family knowing that you can't do anything if they don't send you the item you are paying for. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.