Receiving payments possible scam

LadyDW
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there, I hope that all is going well.

I'm new to using PayPal and I have only made a few transactions.  However, I would like to know when supposedly receiving money via Friends and Family is there any clearance fee that I would need to pay from my end? If so, would PayPal take the fee from the money that would be sent or the sender would pay that fee? Also, would PayPal send a message to say that someone wants to send me money then after they would take out their fee? I would like to know how the process works. Please let me know.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LadyDW 

Its against Paypal rules to accept a family / friends payment for selling goods and you risk your Paypal account being limited if you do so.

A buyer would not be able to open a Paypal dispute for non-receipt of item OR item not as described as they would have no Paypal buyer protection.

However they can still open a dispute for an unauthorised transaction OR do a chargeback (via their card issuer) and you may well lose as you would have no Paypal seller protection.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

CharlesParker6
Contributor
Contributor

My real name is <removed>

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LadyDW 

Its against Paypal rules to accept a family / friends payment for selling goods and you risk your Paypal account being limited if you do so.

A buyer would not be able to open a Paypal dispute for non-receipt of item OR item not as described as they would have no Paypal buyer protection.

However they can still open a dispute for an unauthorised transaction OR do a chargeback (via their card issuer) and you may well lose as you would have no Paypal seller protection.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

LadyDW
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks tor your response. One more thing. When someone sends you money via Friends and Family internationally, would you pay fees to clear the money? If so, do you have to pay the fee before or after? Or does PayPal deduct the money?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.