Preferred card not used for transactions

smbsid
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I was not able to order Uber using my preferred card, I asked my bank to check and they did not find a transaction attempt.

For a backup card, I added a secondary Mastercard in my Wallet but not setting it as preferred.

The next time I ordered an Uber; the transaction was made directly on my newer card.

So I'm asking what is the goal of setting a card as preferred when it is not choosen as default card for payment? 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @smbsid,

Thank you for making your first posts in the Community, and welcome! I'm sorry to hear that your preferred card was not used to make a payment.

The information given by @manju_ is correct, but there's another factor. Every payment is evaluated by the security system before it is carried out. From time to time, a payment method or the payment itself may be denied for a specific transaction. If the backup card was used, it sounds like the first card may have been denied for use in that transaction.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, and I hope this helps shed some light on what likely happened.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

manju_
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @smbsid 

Thank you for your post and welcome to PayPal Community Forum. I certainly understand this must be concerning. It could be possible that you may have set up a pre approved automatic payment subscription with the merchant which is associated with a different funding source. I recommend you to update the preferred funding source for each payment subscription to avoid this issue. Please follow these steps to update the preferred funding source.

Thank you

Manju

Login to Me Too

smbsid
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @manju_ ,

The problem is that I made exactly 6 Uber payments with my former card ( let's call it card X).

In my settings, I confirm I still see:

Preferred card: Card X

In automatic payments; in the Uber section, I also see:

We’ll use your balance first. Then we'll use: X

So my problem is why it keeps using my 3rd added card (card Z), I have the second card (Visa; card Y) added.

Login to Me Too
Solved

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @smbsid,

Thank you for making your first posts in the Community, and welcome! I'm sorry to hear that your preferred card was not used to make a payment.

The information given by @manju_ is correct, but there's another factor. Every payment is evaluated by the security system before it is carried out. From time to time, a payment method or the payment itself may be denied for a specific transaction. If the backup card was used, it sounds like the first card may have been denied for use in that transaction.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, and I hope this helps shed some light on what likely happened.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

smbsid
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @PayPal_Olivia,

Thank you for the response.

Is there a way for me to see why the transaction was denied for the preferred card?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @smbsid,

Thank you for your reply!

Denials are not shown in the customer-facing transaction history. The specific reason why is not shown even to Customer Service teammates. I'm sorry that this has been inconvenient and confusing. I wish there were more insight to give!

Olivia

Login to Me Too

smbsid
Contributor
Contributor

Oh, it's really confusing. So the denial is from PayPal or Uber?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @smbsid,

If the problem is as I have outlined, the denial would be from PayPal's security system. While it can sometimes block payments that are completely legitimate, it's intended to protect against any kind of fraud or risk, and does quite a lot to mitigate that. I'm sorry that the particular transaction that you were trying to make with a specific card was impeded in any way.

Olivia

Login to Me Too

smbsid
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, @PayPal_Olivia, for this kind of scenario, is there no way to manually authorize/whitelist this type of transaction if a customer confirms its legitimacy?

I charged enough money of my card X for travel needs, so it kinds of suck if I can not use that money.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @smbsid,

I regret that there is not a way to predict whether it will happen or not, and there is no way to whitelist it. I would absolutely provide a solution if one existed for this type of situation. The efficacy of the tool for the prevention of fraud and risk requires that it be allowed to work without interference, even if the occasional false positive can come up. Each transaction is evaluated separately, so even if the card has been prevented in the past, it may and likely will be used in the future if it remains in place as the primary payment method. I truly do regret the experience, and I wish I had more to give you!

Olivia

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.