Preferred Payment Method isn't being used

BH31
Contributor
Contributor

Hey All,

I have a credit card and debit card linked to my account.  My credit card has always been my preferred payment method. My debit card is only on there because they make you.   

Anyways, the original credit card was cancelled due to fraudulant chargers (not paypal related). So i logged in, deleted the card, and added the new credit card and marked it as preferred payment method. Sounds like i should be all set to make purchases through paypal expecting it to take the money from my credit card not my debit card, right? Well, this isn't happening.  I use a Mapco Gas App that is linked to my paypal account to make gas purchases. (It saves $0.05 off a gallon, lol) Well, I have used my Mapco app twice sense updating my new card/preferred payment method and it keeps taking the money from my debit card.  Unfortunately I dont ever use my debit card so i keep a very low balance. Thus, when I used this app 2 times it caused an overdraft in my checking account each time, costing me $25. I attempted to reach out to Paypal regarding this. I had to make a ticket, not knowing which drop down selection to choose i just picked one and then explained my problem in the notes.  Well, i just got an email from paypal saying claim denied!  No, explanation, no tips to keep this from happening again, nothing.   Not sure what else to do.   Has anyone had this happen to them before?

Login to Me Too
40 REPLIES 40

CBonner
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issue. We got a new card out of the blue - I assumed that something happened to compromise our old card. My daughter is using the card after setting the preferred settings to use the balance on the paypal card first, but it's automatically withdrawing from our bank account.  I've been paying extra on the balance so that she can use it. Now, I've got a balance that's not being used at all because it won't charge to the actual card. 

Login to Me Too

BH31
Contributor
Contributor
Have you reached out to PayPal with any success? I do believe there is some kind of glitch that they are unaware of. After I noticed the first overdraft I went back in PayPal to make sure my credit card was still selected as the Preferred Method and it was... so there is no reason they should be withdrawing my debit card without my authorization. I even logged into my gas app online to make sure I didn't have any incorrect billing info on it and I don't. I don't have any billing info at all listed on mapco, other than PayPal. And PayPal determine how I pay it. Hopefully someone will reply with a resolution.
Login to Me Too

Uaithne
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issue. When I try to make an online purchase, my PayPal credit card is not even listed as an option yet on my PayPal account it shows that it is the preferred method. Twice I've made purchases and twice the charges have come out of my bank account rather than from my preferred method which is PP credit card. Please tell me there has been a solution and I'm just missing something.

Login to Me Too

Carlos254
Contributor
Contributor
I'm having the exact same problem!
Login to Me Too

Uaithne
Contributor
Contributor

Here we are 7 months later and still no solution to this?!?

Where exactly are we to go to find a solution???

Login to Me Too

Lalainey
Contributor
Contributor

I say it is time to file a class-action suit against Paypal. I have $200 in overdraft fees from my bank b/c paypal decides suddenly start using my bank savings account as my preferred method of payment. They refuse to remedy it so im contacting the BBB and the FCC. I will contact class action attorneys as well.

Login to Me Too

DD5555
Contributor
Contributor
Have you made any progress? This just started to happen to me about ten days ago. I double checked my account to make sure I didn't accidentally change my preferred payment method, and I didn't...it's still marked that it's supposed to debit my credit card. This is really infuriating. I can't afford overdraft fees as a Senior citizen. I'm considering deleting my PayPal account altogether.
Login to Me Too

celticfairie
agreed! Its now september and I am now having this issue for no reason! my credit card is new and updated so it's not expired and definitly has plenty of money on it! Iam not in the negative because I caught it in time but now I am shart money for I ofmy bills!
Login to Me Too

MinecraftGod
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem and it turned out to be that my automatic payments / subscriptions were configured wrong.  See my old response copied below...

---------------------

I chatted with PayPal support, and they said it was because the charges were from subscriptions or automatic payments, which can have different preferred payment methods than your global preferred payment.  Here is the full response below, along with steps of how to fix.  Hope that helps someone who ended up here like me!

A Billing Agreement lets you authorize a merchant to withdraw money from your PayPal account whenever you make a purchase on their website.

If a merchant offers Billing Agreements, you can sign up during checkout. The merchant bills you based on the terms of your Billing Agreement. We don’t share your financial information with the merchant. (Please note that not all merchants offer PayPal Billing Agreements.)

If you are able to use your PayPal account balance to make purchases then it is always the first payment method we use to pay a Billing Agreement. If you do not have enough money in your PayPal balance, we use your preferred backup payment method.

Here's how to change your backup payment method for a Billing Agreement:

1. Click the Settings icon next to Log out.
  2. Click Payments.
  3. Click Manage automatic payments.
  4. Click on the merchants name.
  5. Click on the pencil icon next to "Payment method".
  6. Choose your method of payment.
  7. Click Save.

If you haven't selected a backup payment method or funds aren't available, we use another funding source on your PayPal account.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.