Please advice how to avoide doule convertation when I transfer USD to my credit card in Ukraine?

Olga99
Contributor
Contributor

Please advice how to avoide double convertation when I transfer USD to my credit card in Ukraine?

I tried to send USD from PayPal account to my card in USD in Ukraine, but PayPal automatically exchange on their part USD in hrivnas(national currency). And after my bank exchange hrivnas to USD. We loose many.

How to let PayPal know that I needn't this exchange and want to send directly in dollars the sum in dollars that I have on my PayPal account. Is it any option?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

temp20220620
Contributor
Contributor

Hello!

I am in Canada, and like you, I wanted to get my USD directly without any conversions.  I believe PayPal wants to connect to banks in a country in their native currency.  I was fortunate that one of the Canadian banks (Royal Bank) had USD accounts that were based in Canada and in the United States.  I opened one of both, and connected my PayPal to the one based in America.  I could then transfer USD from PayPal to the American based account, log into my Royal Bank account, and transfer it from the American to the Canadian based USD account to draw out.

So in summary, you may not be able to transfer USD from your PayPal account to a bank or card outside the U.S. without it doing a conversion (perhaps others will know more).  I am fortunate that one of the Canadian banks had accounts for Canadians based in the U.S.; I don't know if any Ukrainian banks would have something like that. 

Right now, Western Union isn't charging a fee to send money to cards in Ukraine.  If you have any friends in America with PayPal, you may be able to send them funds using the Send Money to Friends & Family feature for little or no fee, and then get them to transfer the money using Western Union to your card.  There too, it may still want to send it as UAH (though I've been sending CAD to UAH accounts).  I'm not sure how it would work sending USD to a Ukrainian card in USD, but it might be worth a try.  Even if there was a fee, it might be smaller than PayPal is charging.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Welcome to the community @Olga99 and welcome back @islander1988!

I'm sorry to hear about the unwanted conversions. 

The currency of a card can be changed, I believe. The change can be completed by a customer service teammate. You can find your contact options for customer service by clicking Contact at the bottom of the PayPal website.

The currency of a bank cannot be changed. Withdrawals must be completed in the default currency of the country in which the PayPal account is registered. I am sorry for the inconvenience. 

I hope this information is helpful!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Olga99
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you really helpful advice!

Login to Me Too

OksaOksa
New Community Member
Hi Olga. Did you resolve your problem? I’m from Ukraine and in Ukraine too and the same problem( 15-20% of money I lose). Did you contact help center about it?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.