Paypal suddenly won't let me pay for things from my bank account

marcassin
Contributor
Contributor

All of a sudden Paypal won't let me use my bank account as a method of paying for eBay items. I have always been able to do this up to today (and have had a PayPal account for about 5 years). My bank account is correct, verified, confirmed, what more do they want? When I went to pay for somethign this evening the only payment methods I could opt for were e-cheque (NO THANKS) or credit / debit card whcih I did not want to use. Anyone have any ideas for me?

Login to Me Too
39 REPLIES 39

samanthawhite
Contributor
Contributor
Why stop me paying i payed for 2 goods yestetday just want to buy one more good thats it i fed up of this i been useing paypal since 20011 without problem i getting very upset why i get loged out when i sign in to paypal account get sent back to the pay page i trying to pay for buy it now good only 2 left.i am blazing mad i.see i tryed emailing paypal they fobed me off saying to phone them i not wadting my money paypal should be able to help buy email come on paypal help me has anyone had the same problem
Login to Me Too

fatttts
New Community Member

I have had this issue and it's so annoying as I was able to make payments completely fine by my bank account and I've had paypal for yonks!! Even until a few days ago I was able to do this, and now when trying to purchase something on ebay, i've been told to add a credit/debit card! I do not wish to do that!! and would like to carry on using my bank account to make payments! Can somebody please help me as to how I go back to making payments from my bank! Thanks!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

You still can, adding a card won't stop you doing that, paypal just like a "back up" in case your bank account transfer fails for any reason.

Actually your bank account is the default paying method and you have to "select" to pay with a card during the payment process so just continue to pay as per normal from your bank account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Brannaskat
This exact same thing happened to me. Sorry paypal. You just lost a customer. If I have to use a CARD anyway, its more secure for me to get a PRE PAID CARD than deal with this crap. I feel like its a scam. Huge red flag. Going to remove all payment methods and delete my account. Good luck peeps.
Login to Me Too

Mickey88
Contributor
Contributor
I've been having this problem for 6weeks, and I don't hold out any hope of it ever being fixed, I've had my account for years, back in sept it just stopped letting me use my bank, the same as you in ebay I get a choice of card or e cheque, I've rang them continuously week after week, to be told it's an ongoing fault with their system and there is no fix date! They have made me do everything to try and fix it myself and nothing works, without my bank my acc is useless to me, no one will help and no one can fix it, the only thing that works is them taking their fee for anything I sell! That surprisingly still works, so I can't give you any positive news because as far as paypal are concerned there isn't any, so I wouldn't hold out much hope of it being fixed this year, I don't think we're much of a priority, like you I'm upset angry and feel totally let down.
Login to Me Too

WeezyNF
Contributor
Contributor

Pretty bad that this is still an ongoing issue.. NEARLY 4 YEARS AGO this was posted........ and still, I am getting this problem.

Login to Me Too

Kismet1086
New Community Member

Same here

Login to Me Too

xxPeachxx
Contributor
Contributor
Omfg... Seriously... Me too!! Why is this an ongoing problem FFS?! I want a god damned solution already! I have more than enough money in my bank account...it is confirmed .... So WTF IS THE PROBLEM?! I don't have a visa debit/credit card... So I CANT ADD ONE. I only have my **bleep**ing bank account.... Which I would LOVE TO USE TO PAY FOR SOME **bleep**.... but NoOoOoOo.... PayPal wants me to add something I DON'T **bleep**ING HAVE. Otherwise I would've **bleep**ing added it already FFS! UGH. Why do I even have this account if I Literally can't even use it?!
Login to Me Too

Blondeshell
Contributor
Contributor
Make that NINE years ago now since OP's issue and post, and I'm having the EXACT same issue. My bank acct is already confirmed and verified, not to mention I have had the same PayPal account for over a decade. So now at the worst possible timing, (with the Covid pandemic and social-isolation guidelines) when I have been solely dependent on online purchases, my debit card expires, and in the meantime while a replacement is being sent Im thinking "Thank God for PayPal and the fact that my bank account is verified and confirmed!"... only to discover that: a) not only has it been over a week and my replacement debit card still isn't here BUT ALSO, it doesn't seem to matter at all that I have a confirmed and verified bank account linked to PayPal, because it does not allow me to make purchases ANYWHERE that I have tried that accepts PayPal as a payment option (Amazon, Ebay... hell, even FragranceNet! Yes, if I'm going to be in isolation, stressed and alone, etc... I would love to at least smell incredible... but no. No small luxury items to ease suffering, not even the necessities... the things that even if you DO manage to find for sale you consider yourself blessed, like TOILET PAPER or EGGS... FOOD or ANYTHING else for that matter.) So if I cannot use my bloody bank account to make purchases, WHY IS IT EVEN AN OPTION TO LINK IT, and even more importantly: WHY IS IT SUCH A HASSLE TO CONFIRM/VERIFY a bank account, when it's ABSOLUTELY USELESS unless you have ANOTHER PAYMENT OPTION, making the bank account hassle pointless and futile anyway?!!! I would absolutely love to hear from someone who can advise me of something new and helpful that hasn't been mentioned anywhere I've looked, which will enable me to make purchases from my bank account until my replacement debit card arrives, but after 9 years since the original post, I am not holding out high hopes. I just really wish PAYPAL would be honest about what it's customers and users can ACTUALLY EXPECT because finding out the way I was forced to is pretty miserable and stressful, and a time when things are stressful and miserable enough as it is.
Login to Me Too

Voni_me
Contributor
Contributor
This has also happened to me. I called PayPal and the unhelpful lady said that it’s not a problem on their end, it’s on the sellers end... I call bull on that as it’s happened at a few places!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.