Paypal is taking a monthly direct debit I never set up

Luornu
New Community Member

I check my bank statement to see that paypal is taking a monthly direct debit payment that I never set up. I am seriously poor, I have less than 100£ in my account as it is I am struggling! I have cancelled the dd at my bank website but it has to be done at paypal's end too or it won't confirm. So here's the problem-

My present paypal account does not show the dd, it must be from one of my previous two paypal accounts. Previous two paypal accounts I cannot access because for one I no longer have the mobile phone number associated with it (phone got stolen) for the second account I stupidly put in my old fashioned land line number which the phone verification system doesn't work with so I can't access that one either.

so I started a third account. Trouble is I think this rogue direct debit is connected to one of the previous ones.

I've called the log in and all I get is a robot recorded voice that just tells me to log in and change it on the computer. Er no, no I can't for the reasons I have just described.

So what do I do? I just cannot afford this rogue dd. I straight up cannot afford it. I can barely cover food and bills as it is. I have a feeling it might be connected to a subscription I set up for vetinary dog medicine on one of my ebay accounts. I cancelled this when my dog died and obviously didn't need anymore but if this is what I think it is then the then connected paypal account may still be taking money from my account for it. Even though I am not recieving that dog medicine anymore. If it is that then who is recieving the money? (I should say I've got about three ebay accounts I no longer have access to because I lost the passwords and can't always remember any other details too, it's just easier to make a new account rather than jump through all the stressful hoops they have for password recovery these days-didn't dream that I might be charged for something on an old account)

I am very beside myself with anxiety over this so any help or guidance anyone could supply would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Val117cats
New Community Member
Go into your bank and they should be able to cancel it
Login to Me Too

Luornu
New Community Member

Unfortunately I can never go into my local bank branch again. I'm on the autism spectrum and I had a meltdown in there because they wouldn't listen to me or help me and the manager there mistook it for aggression and anger and they have all those strict anti aggressive behaviour protocols and I wasn't being aggressive it was my autism it was me being overwhelmed not aggressive and I can never go in there again.

I will have to ask my social worker for help. Because of my disability talking to people in the bank is a real problem. That it wouldn't be for most people. Well thankyou anyway. I hope they can help me because I can't do it by myself. It invariably ends with me melting down and them mistaking it for aggression and being really nasty to me because of it. It absolutely destroys me inside.

okay thankyou anyway

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Luornu 

When you add a bank account to paypal it sets up the direct debit mandate so that paypal can take authorised payments for any purchases you make (or pay your Ebay fees).

No company eg water/electric can take funds from your bank account on a regular basis without that direct debit.
However the amount shown is always the ''last'' transaction / amount that you paid to a seller via paypal.

If you don't pay a seller and fund it from the bank account the direct debit is set up with then no funds will be taken.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.