Paypal denying FOLD CARD payments for credit card payments

Temp20230320g
Contributor
Contributor

FOLD is a prepaid debit card. I have been successful at specifically paying my Capital One Credit card with my Fold Card for several months and my first trouble incident was back on Dec 27 2022. I initiated a payment investigation with Capital Once Credit Card division on Jan 4th 2023 and suddenly on Jan 11th 2023 the payment posted to Capital One and Capital One closed their investigation without finding out anything useful as they just showed that the payment posted.

Now this March many others as well as myself are running into issues paying our credit card payments with our Fold card. Our Fold card is not showing to be the problem. Our biller (in my specific case being Capital One) isn't the problem. So it seems that Paypal is the problem. Chatting with paypal has also had them saying the Fold payment method has been blocked due to security reasons which makes no sense.

Also on top of all of that, in my specific situation as well as others, we have the bill we're trying to pay only wanting to be paid with the Fold card yet when trying to submit the payment paypal seems to go in and set the Fold card as the back up and uses other payments on file or the "paypal balance" as the main payment method even though that wasn't authorized. Shouldn't have to say that that is wrong on all parts.

Paypal needs to get this fixed or just come out and let us know our preferred way of paying is just not going to be allowed anymore and we can be done and I'll move and others will move their business elsewhere.

Login to Me Too
50 REPLIES 50

Stackinsats32
Please fix this paypal
Login to Me Too

kon21
Contributor
Contributor

Last time PayPal worked with my Fold card was March 9th. PayPal, please address this issue. Anyone know of other online bill services that would work with Fold Debit Card?

Login to Me Too

verity-j
Contributor
Contributor

@kon21 "Anyone know of other online bill services that would work with Fold Debit Card?"

Some people have success paying directly over the phone. Works with Citi, Chase, maybe some other billers. In any case, avoid PayPal 🙂

Login to Me Too

kon21
Contributor
Contributor

What do you mean by "paying directly over the phone"? you mean call each CC company to pay over the phone using the Fold debit card?

Login to Me Too

sthurmo
Contributor
Contributor
Yes, there are a few credit card providers that will accept payment via debit card (Fold card) over the phone, so you can still double dip. I have paid my Citi and Synchrony credit cards over the phone (automated) using my Fold card, but Chase will not allow it, unfortunately.
Login to Me Too

kon21
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone heard any update on this issue? 

Login to Me Too

PheelGoodPhil
Contributor
Contributor

Nope. This is literally the only reason why I use Paypal. If they don't resolve it, I'm deleting my account.

Login to Me Too

kon21
Contributor
Contributor

here is the last correspondence I had with PP rep...

"rest assured that our higher department has been made aware about this already, but I cannot guarantee when this will rectified."

Login to Me Too

leviathan69

I have been paying my mortgage with PayPal billpay for months using my Fold card. Today I authorized another mortgage payment with my fold card selected as the source of funds and PayPal immediately took the payment from my Capital One checking account! I don't even have the funds available in that account!! I did not authorize that and it should not have been allowed without my consent. The funds are available on the account that I SELECTED to be used during the transaction. 

Login to Me Too

verity-j
Contributor
Contributor

FINALLY, IT'S FIXED! Amazing news: [removed] The Fold card may be used again for paying bills through PayPal.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.