Paypal denying FOLD CARD payments for credit card payments

Temp20230320g
Contributor
Contributor

FOLD is a prepaid debit card. I have been successful at specifically paying my Capital One Credit card with my Fold Card for several months and my first trouble incident was back on Dec 27 2022. I initiated a payment investigation with Capital Once Credit Card division on Jan 4th 2023 and suddenly on Jan 11th 2023 the payment posted to Capital One and Capital One closed their investigation without finding out anything useful as they just showed that the payment posted.

Now this March many others as well as myself are running into issues paying our credit card payments with our Fold card. Our Fold card is not showing to be the problem. Our biller (in my specific case being Capital One) isn't the problem. So it seems that Paypal is the problem. Chatting with paypal has also had them saying the Fold payment method has been blocked due to security reasons which makes no sense.

Also on top of all of that, in my specific situation as well as others, we have the bill we're trying to pay only wanting to be paid with the Fold card yet when trying to submit the payment paypal seems to go in and set the Fold card as the back up and uses other payments on file or the "paypal balance" as the main payment method even though that wasn't authorized. Shouldn't have to say that that is wrong on all parts.

Paypal needs to get this fixed or just come out and let us know our preferred way of paying is just not going to be allowed anymore and we can be done and I'll move and others will move their business elsewhere.

Login to Me Too
50 REPLIES 50

steveharper
Contributor
Contributor
As others said, try paying your cc bill over the phone using your Fold debit card. I’m limited to one payment for my Costco cc over the phone per day so if you’re like me and make multiple payments in the range of $500 in order to maximize spin rewards keep that in mind
Login to Me Too

sthurmo
Contributor
Contributor

I've found that I can usually hit the 2% spin reward in the Fold app within 5 spins, so I spread out my payments at $1250 or less each. If I owe more than $1250 in a given month, I'll just make multiple payments of $1250 or less to maximize rewards. I rarely hit anything higher than the 2%, but have it 3% & 5% once or twice.

Login to Me Too

verity-j
Contributor
Contributor

Heads up: Bank of America does not accept debit cards as a payment source so Fold card cannot be used without PayPal. (BofA mortgage or credit card payments fail when attempted with PayPal + Fold.)

The only option right now: add Sutton bank checking account to PayPal or BofA bill pay external accounts and make bill payment transfers through ACH. Of course, this completely defeats the advantage of a Fold card.

Login to Me Too

Bbatzel76
Contributor
Contributor
PayPal please fix this issue asap.
Login to Me Too

Temp20230321b
This story echoes my own. Until PayPal remedies this payment issue (allows Fold debit to be connected for bill pay apps), I have no need or use for PayPal. Fix this issue and post an update.
Login to Me Too

MaineHippo83
New Community Member

Same but with Coinbase card.

I don't understand why they care where the money comes from.  If CB allows me to earn rewards why should paypal care.

Login to Me Too

sthurmo
Contributor
Contributor

Because if you believe operation Chokepoint 2.0 is real; the Fed and central bankers are trying to close all the fiat to crypto exits before they turn the money printers back on. They will fail just as they have in every aspect they've spearheaded. All fiat dies eventually...we're just now starting to see the desperation in plain sight. #byefiat #buybitcoin #fixthemoneyfixtheworld

Login to Me Too

_andgoliath
Same here. Issue persists for about a month now which sucks because I only just started using Paypal for bill pay through Fold and now its pointless and will have to change everything back if this doesn't get remedied. Does anyone know if Paypal is working on this issue at all? Any paypal competitors we can move to?
Login to Me Too

splatt25

According to PayPal, they stopped supporting "Prepaid Debit Cards" like the Fold card December 2022. It's taken a couple months for their systems to recognize all accounts. Mine worked fine until this month. Curious if anyone discovers any workarounds or alternatives. . .

Login to Me Too

verity-j
Contributor
Contributor

Is that the new PayPal excuse, that they stopped supporting all prepaid cards? If it was done properly, the system would clearly state this payment source is not supported. Like it's not supported to load paypal balance from a prepaid card.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.