Paypal denying FOLD CARD payments for credit card payments

Temp20230320g
Contributor
Contributor

FOLD is a prepaid debit card. I have been successful at specifically paying my Capital One Credit card with my Fold Card for several months and my first trouble incident was back on Dec 27 2022. I initiated a payment investigation with Capital Once Credit Card division on Jan 4th 2023 and suddenly on Jan 11th 2023 the payment posted to Capital One and Capital One closed their investigation without finding out anything useful as they just showed that the payment posted.

Now this March many others as well as myself are running into issues paying our credit card payments with our Fold card. Our Fold card is not showing to be the problem. Our biller (in my specific case being Capital One) isn't the problem. So it seems that Paypal is the problem. Chatting with paypal has also had them saying the Fold payment method has been blocked due to security reasons which makes no sense.

Also on top of all of that, in my specific situation as well as others, we have the bill we're trying to pay only wanting to be paid with the Fold card yet when trying to submit the payment paypal seems to go in and set the Fold card as the back up and uses other payments on file or the "paypal balance" as the main payment method even though that wasn't authorized. Shouldn't have to say that that is wrong on all parts.

Paypal needs to get this fixed or just come out and let us know our preferred way of paying is just not going to be allowed anymore and we can be done and I'll move and others will move their business elsewhere.

Login to Me Too
50 REPLIES 50

greenCHEVETTE
Contributor
Contributor

Same here.  Please fix this Paypal!

Login to Me Too

Temp20230320g
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah discussion is still going on the Fold discord server. It sucks and so far no updated.

Login to Me Too

kon21
Contributor
Contributor

What is the discord channel we can join?

Login to Me Too

Temp20230320g
Contributor
Contributor

I have no idea what this means.

Login to Me Too

Bbatzel76
Contributor
Contributor
Same problem here. Please fix asap!
Login to Me Too

Temp20230320f
Contributor
Contributor
Let's go PayPal. Get it together. I can make payments through PayPal using my bank linked debit card, and I can make payments directly using my Fold card, but I can't use my fold card for payments through PayPal? Makes no sense
Login to Me Too

fold_user
Contributor
Contributor

I came here to echo this. This is the only thing I use Paypal for. I'll have no reason to have an account if this isn't resolved.

Login to Me Too

sthurmo
Contributor
Contributor
Same issue here. I pay all my bills this way using the Fold prepaid debit card as my method of payment, so this has been very disrupting. I find it awful coincidental that this ability/service went offline the same time SVB, Silvergate and Signature bank meltdowns occurred. Chokepoint 2.0, perhaps? Please fix this, PayPal!
Login to Me Too

I try to pay my mortgage and CC bills with my Fold card via paypal and it was denied.

Just for giggles, I linked up a traditional debit card (visa) it worked.

It's a small sample size but it seems odd that they would not allow one visa debit card to pay but allow another visa debit card to go through.

Does this lend credence to the idea that they are isolating Sutton Bank/Fold card users from using the card? I dunno but it seems like it to me.

Update:

I was able to pay my CC bill using the Fold card using the automated phone system - so I believe the problem is with PayPal and not the with Fold or the CC company.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.