Paypal charging Automatic Payments to wrong payment method

howard2liu
Contributor
Contributor

In the last month, Paypal appears to have started incorrectly charging all my automatic payments to the wrong payment method.  I have a debit card account connected to handle payments for a nonprofit foundation.  All other automatic payments are assigned to credit card accounts; I can log in and see they're all correctly assigned, and before Nov 30 all payments were being charged correctly.  Since then, all these automatic payments (which don't ask for confirmation of which account I want to use) have all been going to the debit card account, ignoring the setting. 

I've reported a problem through Paypal, but will they actually do anything, either to fix the incorrectly charged transactions or to prevent more wrong charges?  Is this something they pull every time they show up as one of Chase's 5% cashback categories?  I'm pretty annoyed that I'm going to lose those reward points because of Paypal's mistakes.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

howard2liu
Contributor
Contributor

Well, in the last 24 hours Paypal emailed me that they've denied my dispute since it's not a billing issue -- I feel it really is -- and then the vendor informed me that my purchase was canceled since it was being disputed by Paypal.  Both of those weren't really desired outcomes.

I just wanted Paypal to know that they charged the wrong card in contravention of my Automatic Payments settings, and to let me know that they've fixed this in the future.  In classic giant tech company style, they've shown no indication that they understand the issue, and taken steps that caused more problems while failing to communicate this to the user.

Terrible experience, 0/5 would not recommend.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.