Paypal Prenote Transaction

kcw4
Contributor
Contributor

I recently saw a $0 Paypal Prenote transaction posted to my linked checking account.  I have never seen this before.  As I understand it a prenote is a way of validating account information. I did not recently setup any kind of direct deposit. Is this normal or some sort of phishing/fraud attempt?

Login to Me Too
77 REPLIES 77

miguelpakalns

Same as kcw4 I also de-linked, and changed password.  Could be overkill but, no real downside.

The strange part is the customer support agent at Paypal had no explanation for me.  I was anticipating a fast answer, "Just an automated account confirmation,"  instead they seemed as confused as I was.  

Login to Me Too

BrianG24
Contributor
Contributor

I got in touch with a customer service rep at Paypal and they said this:

"Please be informed that a Prenote is just to verify your bank and there is no money movement.
Also, bank accounts cannot be linked to multiple accounts. We use the latest technology and encryption methods to keep your account secure.
I also did a thorough review of your PayPal account and see that your account is safe and secure."

So I think it was just Paypal reconfirming that the account I had linked is active. Probably not the smartest thing for them to do without informing us it would happen but it is what it is. 
Login to Me Too

dianecu
Contributor
Contributor
This is annoying but very reassuring. Thanks for sharing!!
Login to Me Too

Temp20220916E
New Community Member

I have had a few conversations with my bank and PayPal about this.  PayPal has not been that helpful with the situation.  They have tried to assure me that nothing is wrong and they aren't sure of how or why the charge was made.  One customer service rep indicated they were reverifying active accounts, but could not confirm the charge on their end.  My bank on the other hand has had numerous calls about this issue and they are treating it as fraud and a scam.  They said PayPal did not contact them about any testing which makes the charge very questionable.  Also, when the charge is a test, it usually drops off after being a pending charge.  They aren't clear how it occurred, but suggested restricting my account and setting up a new one.  That's what I am going to do because I don't want to have my bank account drained.  Like others, I removed my bank account information from PayPal and will only use my credit card moving forward. 

Anyone else get different feedback from their bank or PayPal?  I have spoken with three PayPal representatives over the course of the last two days and I have received three different answers.

Login to Me Too

geegee829

I also contacted Paypal and they told me the same thing not to worry. I delinked my checking account anyway. 

Login to Me Too

breannagrant

I also had this happen to me.

I got a letter in the mail today from my bank stating that my account will be credited for a PayPal prenote. I have not seen any activity in my bank account yet. I called the bank about this issue, and they told me I should wait and see if anything pops up in my account, even though I plainly told her I haven't used PayPal in years and that I only buy from trusted sources (sounds like I need a new bank???). I do agree with other people that closing your bank account is an overkill, but I would like to be reassured that my account won't be hacked. Instead, now, I have no clue what is going on.

I have changed my password on PayPal, and removed my bank from my account. I guess now it's a waiting game?

Login to Me Too

ChicaSasha
New Community Member

I just spoke to my bank and they are now aware of this and say YES, THIS IS FRAUD.  Someone pinged/verified my account information (not Paypal).  The bank froze my account and I have to setup a new one at the branch.  Even if you have unlinked/removed your bank account from Paypal, your account info is now out there and hence compromised.

Login to Me Too

rje25
Contributor
Contributor

Prenote was from paypal. I just called them. I removed my bank account  before finding out this. It seems they do this because they want to see if its active or not if not used since last year. I told them you scared me and others without any notification for this. Its safe to check here is pay pal number [removed]. Make sure you have transaction date from your bank account. If you already removed your account from paypal then you will have to have last transaction this account was used before removing it. Look in your paypal account for this. If its 2021 then you have to change settings. Good Luck

Login to Me Too
Solved

PayPal_Olivia

Hi everyone!

Thank you all for your posts! I'm very sorry to hear that there was confusion and concern regarding the prenote/prenotification activity between PayPal and your bank. The zero-dollar test is not shown in your PayPal account, but may or may not display in your online activity with your bank. A prenote is a legitimate test, and is not an indication of any sort of unauthorized or fraudulent activity. It is done to ensure that the bank is still active and operational, and does happen periodically. It has no impact on your bank balance.

More information can be found in this Help Center article.

I hope this information is helpful in setting your minds at ease.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

vworthing10
Contributor
Contributor

Can you explain how the ACH Prenote authorization has the account number when we have never had the account tied to the Paypal system? I understand many users tie their bank accounts to their Paypal but we have never done that and it still is trying to do an ACH Credit.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.