Paypal Prenote Transaction

kcw4
Contributor
Contributor

I recently saw a $0 Paypal Prenote transaction posted to my linked checking account.  I have never seen this before.  As I understand it a prenote is a way of validating account information. I did not recently setup any kind of direct deposit. Is this normal or some sort of phishing/fraud attempt?

Login to Me Too
77 REPLIES 77

JTnKC
I am confused that so many people have this issue around the world YET there are such a mixed array of answers! Why would Paypal NOT inform thus of this tests? I see a few posts stating that they got reps who told them but most of us, when we called Paypal, they didn't have a clue to offer us! Is this really a test or really a scam? We need answers as LONGTIME LOYAL Paypal customers! I see a Paypal rep named Olivia posting here; Olivia is there a reason why all your Reps are giving various answers or none at all? And if this a true test of systems, why didn't Paypal inform their customers?
Login to Me Too

GiniasGems
Contributor
Contributor

we were told there was no record on paypal end- and not in people's paypal profiles.  Once we began returning the preauths the attempts stopped coming to our institution.  atleast 3 supervosirs at paypal have confirmed this is a test of accounts to obtain account information and then possibly steal money- protect your checking accounts as soon as possible- please contact your banks.

Login to Me Too

Buckwheat12

I recieved a prenotification from my bank for something called PREPAL PRENOTE with my account number. Mybank doesn't know what it is and 

I recieved no notification of PAYPAL using my account for some reasone.Please tell me what you're doing!!!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Buckwheat12 

Never heard of it so found this on google, not sure how real it is?

https://marketrealist.com/p/paypal-prenote-scam/

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

StefanieMay
Contributor
Contributor
I also found a “PAYPAL Prenote” credit on my checking account. I got freaked out because I haven’t done anything w PayPal in a while and my preferred method of payment is a credit card. I called my bank and they said their is nothing to be done because it’s a “credit” for $0. I’m still kind of worried. Bank told me to “continue monitoring” my account.
Login to Me Too

vworthing10
Contributor
Contributor

https://dfpi.ca.gov/file-a-complaint/

I spent more than 3 hours on the phone with PayPal last week and they did not reassure me in any way that this particular transaction is not Fraud. I have filed a complaint and recommend others do so as well. Maybe then PayPal will rectify the situation.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Jillowell, @vworthing10, and everyone,

I apologize for the confusion. I can confirm that the prenote process exists legitimately. I hope that this article in our Help Center will help set your minds at ease about the validity of the prenote. I am going to edit my earlier post to include this link there as well, so anyone reaching this thread at a later date will see it.

Thank you all for your caution and concern!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

kcarter98
New Community Member
My banks statement says PAYPAL £0 but no transactions have been made, not sure what’s this means
Login to Me Too

SharBee
New Community Member

Unfortunately, none of the Labels apply to my inquiry, so I chose "Transaction Inquiry."

Paypal odd trx 052522c.jpgYesterday, my bank account (which is not linked to PP) showed a transaction in amount of $0.00, with settlement date of 5/26. I haven't requested funds transfer in or out. Transaction notice mysteriously disappeared from bank account this morning 5/26.  There are no pending transactions at PP.  Has this happened to anyone else?

Login to Me Too

Jamz2720
This notification popped up on my bank account as a pending transaction yesterday. I contacted my bank and because closing an account is such a huge hassle they recommended just monitoring the account for now. For those of you who didn't close your bank accounts, was there any additional suspicious activity, any actual withdrawals? If this is legit, shame on Paypal for not sending notifications that this would be happening.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.