Paypal Prenote Transaction

kcw4
Contributor
Contributor

I recently saw a $0 Paypal Prenote transaction posted to my linked checking account.  I have never seen this before.  As I understand it a prenote is a way of validating account information. I did not recently setup any kind of direct deposit. Is this normal or some sort of phishing/fraud attempt?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Olivia

Hi everyone!

Thank you all for your posts! I'm very sorry to hear that there was confusion and concern regarding the prenote/prenotification activity between PayPal and your bank. The zero-dollar test is not shown in your PayPal account, but may or may not display in your online activity with your bank. A prenote is a legitimate test, and is not an indication of any sort of unauthorized or fraudulent activity. It is done to ensure that the bank is still active and operational, and does happen periodically. It has no impact on your bank balance.

More information can be found in this Help Center article.

I hope this information is helpful in setting your minds at ease.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
77 REPLIES 77

mpippi
New Community Member

did anyone else get a DEP Prenotification of $0.00 charge on their bank account today or recently? I'm not too worried since nothing was charged but I just want to know what this is. I haven't used my account in years. 

Login to Me Too

Sgabald
New Community Member
I have this as well. I was worried my account could have been hacked but now I’m not sure if you have it too?
Login to Me Too

Taba99
Contributor
Contributor
I have one also
Login to Me Too

neverendingluv
New Community Member

I have one as well on my bank account and haven't used my account in about a year.  Hoping my account was not hacked.

Login to Me Too

sangstman
New Community Member

yes, i noticed a transaction labeled that on 4/26! would love an explanation if anyone figures it out

Login to Me Too

Moondeath
New Community Member
Yes I received one as well. PayPal should explain
Login to Me Too

lylejk
New Community Member

I did get one as well.  Perplexed to say the least.   Found this thread from a duckduckgo search.   Only other one I saw was on Reddit.   Hopefully, someone from PayPay will bud in an address this.  Don't think this a hack, but you never know nowadays.   In a way, I am just glad I'm not the only one.   🙂

Login to Me Too

Snowman315
Contributor
Contributor

I called paypal help line, spoke to a live person and explained what I (and all of you) are seeing.

she said there is no record of any transaction from paypal, not even a $0.00 transaction. no autobot or any other type of account verification transaction. bottom line, she said was not from paypal and that I should call my bank to get more info on the source of the transaction.

Last time i called my bank about an ACH transaction, they couldn't tell me anything about it.

anyway.... my bank is a credit union and their help like is closed until monday.

here's hoping it's not a hacker

Login to Me Too

museumdirector
Contributor
Contributor
Got the same response from PayPal customer service - they didn’t initiate the transaction, and they recommended I call my bank. I did file a report with my credit union, though they were reluctant to do it. They didn’t seem to share the suspicion I have that this could be a test transaction before making an unauthorized attempt to withdraw funds. Report it and keep an eye on your accounts, everyone.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.