Payment was sent but seller says it was declined?

16miberk
Contributor
Contributor

I bought a laptop from this guy on eBay. He’s legit, has 50 transactions and a 5 star rating over the past 12 months for other devices.

I offered him about $200 under asking, and he said he’d take it if we went directly thru Paypal instead to save on fees.

I sent him the money as F&F directly from my bank account. It says completed on my end, and the amount is pending on my bank (hasn’t cleared yet). The seller is saying he sees the transaction but didn’t get the funds, and there is a 24 hour security hold. This was on Thursday, so it’s been 5 days now.

I had him call Paypal, and they said on his end the payment was declined and never went thru. But on my end, it’s saying completed. What should I do? He’s saying I should dispute it with my bank, but I’m not trying to lose my very aged and used account. He sent me a screenshot that is definitely legit of the transaction showing as declined.

PayPal asked me to have him call them, which he did, and now they are investigating. Has this happened to anyone else?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@16miberk 

Well he is not legit if he breaks Ebay rules to do an off Ebay transaction and then breaks paypal rules to get your to pay using the friends/family option.

If its showing as sent / completed on your side then you have paid and he has the funds (as long as you sent to the correct email address).

If not it would show as pending or unclaimed. Any hold on his paypal account is between him and paypal and should not affect you and he should send the goods.

However if he does not send then not a lot you can do about it as by using friends/family you sent him a 'gift' of money so can't open a paypal or ebay dispute as you negated your buyer protection and can't leave feedback either as you did an off Ebay transaction.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.