Payment held when I met buyer in person and has already received their product?

Obi424
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, So basically I sold a product, met the buyer in person, and he chose purchased goods to pay me. I didn't know that it would hold my money on my side. He already has the item and does anyone know if the 21 day hold can be expedited? He already has the goods, and I don't really have a tracking number so that PayPal can confirm that he has the item. Would've chose friends and family if I knew that this was gonna happen. Thanks!

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Obi424 

Personally I think you should never use Paypal for an item that is to be collected or personally delivered as you have 0 seller protection.

Your buyer can collect the item and then file a dispute for non receipt of item. As you would have no tracking number to prove delivery of the item to him then you 'may' lose the dispute.

I would always ask for cash on collection.

However as you have no tracking number then try marking the transaction as processed then the buyer or sender may have the option on their account to mark the transaction as delivery/satisfied. If the buyer or sender confirms this by clicking on the "Confirm Receipt" button, funds may be released sooner ie 7 days after the buyer or sender verifies receipt. This is not always available or guaranteed. 
If not then sadly its 21 days.

Do not use the friends/family option for selling, you risk a permanent account limitation if you do so and would negate all your seller protection (for claims of unauthorised transaction or chargebacks).

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Obi424
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply! So i just reached out to the buyer and he said it says 48 hours before he can confirm the receipt. Is that normal too? Would it also still take atleast 7 days to receive the money despite of the 48 hour hold to confirm?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.