PayPay gave my money to someone just for asking and now I can't get it back

660ftJunkee
Contributor
Contributor

HI. PayPay gave my money to someone just for asking and now I cant get it back. I transferred money to a person from my credit to pay paypal since I couldnt transfer it to my own account. Besided the fees, now Im out another 2315 dollars because said person had accidentally sent me the money twice. But that was impossible because that person had no money in the account. Since PayPal put the money in for her, I ended up having to transfer it to my bank (more fees) so they could take it back which eventually they did. J was just out probably close to 200 or more in fees. However, that person complained about the fees after I asked to leave it all alone since all was even. Next think I know paypal took out 2315 and sent it to that person and now from not having any money before all this, that person now has 2315 dollars and I cant get it back. Its supposed to be in a hold account. Paypal tells me that person has to contact her bank and send it back (why they did this without proper research or contacting me makes Paypal look bad now). That person tells me I have to ask paypal and paypal said the case is closed.

What do I do? HELP!

signed,

Broke

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@660ftJunkee 

Can’t exactly make head or tail out of your story. There must’ve been a dispute so PayPal takes money out pending outcome of case besides you trying to refund the person.

File a complaint with bbb.org under PayPal San Jose, CA and hopefully the PayPal executive escalations office can review the transaction histories, give you the play by play and sort things out.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

660ftJunkee
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the information. Yes, very confusing because PayPal statements only show the transaction and not a running balance. It was difficult over the phone to figure it out, but I will try San Jose. 

Basically I transferred lets say 2000 but 4 thousand was transferred back to me. I paid the 4k back leaving a balance of zero so PayPal got paid back from my account  because the person didn't have any money in the account. Then the 2k was taken back out so I'm paying 2k more than i transferred in the first place. If the money had been taken from her account then it makes sense. But the person had basically zero balance before i transferred it to that person and now that person has 2k that don't belong to her and I have to pay for that. The money is supposed to be in a hold account. If she had transferred 4k for real, there would be a negative balance on that parson's account but its zero still but once the money is released from the hold there will be 2k in persons account that I am having to pay for myself. That person wont tell me if indeed an additional 2k was taken from her bank besides the 2k I originally transferred. If PayPal had a running balance it would be easier to figure out. 

Thank you for your time and effort

Jim

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.