PayPal payment pop-up window closes

akakan
New Community Member

Hi there,

Wondering if anyone has experienced and been able to fix the following issue?

I'm trying to make a payment to finish up my online shopping. I click on the pay by Paypal option, and a pop-up for PayPal opens so I enter my email and password, select the method I want to use, and click pay. The wheel showing that it's processing is spinning, then closes without any notice. My payment has not gone through, and I have to re-load the page again to see the PayPal payment option. I've tried this on Chrome, Firefox, and Safari, on my laptop and phone and each time it does the same thing. Help please!

Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14

QueueUnderflow
Contributor
Contributor

Just FYI, this is definitely tied to your social security number. Change that by one digit, click the PayPal link, and it will come up normally. Change it back to your correct SSN, and the PayPal pop-up disappears immediately again.

Login to Me Too

QueueUnderflow
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure if anybody is still following this, but if they are, as of today (October 15), it looks like the mechanism limiting payments (specifically PayPal, but possibly all) is reset. I didn't actually make a payment but the PayPal window stayed open, which it didn't yesterday. This suggests there is some kind of odd quarter definition, but I'm not sure what, maybe 7/14-10/14?

Login to Me Too

Jfoobear
Contributor
Contributor

huh, interesting.  I was able to make a payment a few days ago under both mine and my spouse's SSN.  I used the workaround described here: https://frequentmiler.com/pay-taxes-via-credit-card/comment-page-7/#comment-2330953

However, when I'm trying to make a 2nd payment with either of our SSNs, I'm once again getting the issue with the window closing right way, even using that workaround.  I tried changing the SSN as your described above, and that actually fixes it.  So maybe the system only allows you to use PayPal for the first payment of the quarter?  Also, this make me suspect the entering CC info has nothing to do with it.

Login to Me Too

QueueUnderflow
Contributor
Contributor

I made a payment on November 27 and I'm still locked out. At this point I think it's fair to say that they have an undocumented policy of only allowing one estimated tax payment via PayPal per quarter. There is another workaround here: <removed> But I have other ways to max out the Chase Freedom/Discover PayPal bonuses, so I'm planning on doing that instead.

Login to Me Too

Jfoobear
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for the link to that workaround!  I was able to use max out the freedom PayPal, but I wanted to do a second payment with the Amex Bonvoy promotion for 10x on PayPal, so I'll give that workaround a shot.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.