PayPal charged me (buyer) for refund?!

WZhang99
New Community Member

Hi PayPal Community,

Why has PayPal charged me (buyer) a large fee of AU$164.71 for a refund?!

As you can see in the images attached, original payment to seller was AU$3357.59 (30 Oct) and the refunded amount was only AU$3,192.88 (1 Nov), meaning I did not get the difference of AU$164.71 back from PayPal. Why is this?

I understand that the MYD/AUD exchange rates may come into play in some scenarios, however, due to this transaction & refund being made within 36 hours - any exchange rate effects were basically negligible!! 

This is my 3rd incident with PayPal not refunding me my entire original payment. Please help! 

Thanks,

W. 

Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 3.13.22 am.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 3.13.34 am.png

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@WZhang99 

Refunds

Generally, we'll process refunds of:

• online purchases and friends and family transactions to the same payment method you used for the purchase; and
  • in-store purchases to your PayPal balance.

If a payment you sent involved a currency conversion and you're later refunded:

• Within 1 day of the date of the original payment, we'll normally use the transaction exchange rate that we applied at the time of the original payment;
  • Beyond 1 day of the date of the original payment, we'll normally use the transaction exchange rate (including a currency conversion fee) that applies on the date of your refund;
  • The refund will go back to your bank account or card used for the original transaction in the currency of the original transaction. If that is not possible, we will credit your PayPal balance in the currency of the original transaction; and
  • You'll be refunded in Australian Dollars if your PayPal account balance doesn't support the currency of the original payment.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_US#buying

Refunds involving a currency conversion

If the original payment involved a currency conversion and the refund is issued:

• within 1 day of the date of the original payment: we will use the transaction exchange rate applicable on the date of the original payment, so that you receive the original amount (including the currency conversion you paid)
  • 1 day or more after the date of the original payment: we will use the transaction exchange rate applicable at the time of the refund. This means that you may not receive the full amount of your original payment due to the fluctuations in exchange rates.

https://www.paypal.com/au/smarthelp/article/where-is-my-refund-faq1212

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

jerryab2
Contributor
Contributor

If payment was to be in MYD, then that likely explains it.

You bought (sold) $10k MYD for AUS $3300+.

But, converting the MDY $10K refund back to AUS is only $3100+ due to exchange rate change (shown in paperwork). Maybe also bank fees you pay for conversion.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.