PayPal Send money 'declined' 1st attempt - how long before money is delivered?

EmbeddedJW
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All - I clicked 'Send Money' like I had many times but used the wrong funding source.  It was $4000.00.  After I got the 'declined' notice I wired money into the other account, and the $4000.00 was withdrawn from it on May 2.  Well, it is May 12 and still the recipient hasn't received the money, is this normal?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

EmbeddedJW
Contributor
Contributor

All - I am so sorry.  On April 26 when I initiated the send of $4000.00 from the wrong bank, I got an email that said the transaction had been declined and would be resent.  I wired the money into that account and the retry happened on September 2.  What I didn't realize is that the money had been received on April 26 - I am not sure how, I did have a backup funding source, a credit card, but I got no notice or anything and, besides, with a credit card there would have been a fee.  Anyway the money had been there all along.

I am so sorry for wasting your valuable time, thank you for your help.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@EmbeddedJW 

Is the payment status in PayPal account still at Pending? Did you send an eCheck? Click on the PayPal transaction for more details.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

EmbeddedJW
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Sharpiemarker,

After I got the declined notice from PayPal I wired money into the account.  Then PayPal withdrew it on May 2 but I haven't done anything else, I was assuming that since the retry was automatic, they would successfully charge it the 2nd time then send the money to the payee.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@EmbeddedJW wrote:

Hi Sharpiemarker,

After I got the declined notice from PayPal I wired money into the account.  Then PayPal withdrew it on May 2 but I haven't done anything else, I was assuming that since the retry was automatic, they would successfully charge it the 2nd time then send the money to the payee.

Click on the PayPal transaction to see if it is an eCheck and if the eCheck status is still listed as Pending or not.

eChecks take time to clear/complete by PayPal even if it has already left your bank and PayPal will notify you when it does. Then that means the payee received it.

If the payment status is listed as “Completed” on your end then the payee received it.

Login to Me Too

EmbeddedJW
Contributor
Contributor

SharpieMarker I don't think I have ever seen an eCheck with PayPal.  It shows 'money sent' like all of my transactions and it is to a family member.  I guess I will contact PayPal.  It is okay if it takes another week or two, but I need to make sure it is in the pipeline.

I have neer goofed on a funding source before, this is the first time.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@EmbeddedJW 

Transfers from bank accounts are never instant as Paypal use electronic transfers ie echeques (cheaper but slower).

Funds normally leave your bank account from a few hours > few days later but they take several working days to clear through to the seller/Paypal as they go via ACH in batches.

Its called instant because normally Paypal credit the seller upfront and then Paypal take the wait for the funds to transfer, this is so you get your item without delay.

However there are times however when its you and the seller / recipient that take the wait for the echeque to clear and here are some of the reasons...

1. Back up card has expired or needs updating.
2. You have had a recent negative balance or failed bank transfer (so paypal are not going to credit the seller in advance in case it happens again).
3. For some high cost riskier payments / transactions.
4. Friends / family payments *funded from a bank account* as this option is free then its you that takes the wait this time.
5. Clearing a negative balance.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@EmbeddedJW 

You’ll have to ask the recipient to click on the transaction to tell you what they see in the details and what the status is. No one here can see into your account or the recipient’s account about what’s going on. We can only go by what you tell us and make an educated guess.

If you see transaction on your account as “Money Sent” and listed in the “Completed” section of your PayPal account activity, then the recipient has received it. But if the recipient is saying money received but pending, then money could be on 21 day hold.

Recipient has to:

1. Go to Activity
  2. Find the transaction to update, then click Get your money
  3. For received payments that do not require shipping, selling an intangible item or service, select Service or virtual product to confirm order status. 
  4. Click Submit

Recipient will get their money 7 days after confirming the order status as Completed.

Sender (you) can ‘confirm receipt’ after 48 hrs, here’s how:

1. Click Activity at the top of the page.
  2. Find and click the original payment for the item.
  3. Click Confirm receipt.
  4. Click Yes to confirm that you received the order.

This hold happens if:

- sender forget to select friends and family option when they pay.

- sender cannot send a friends and family payment, only goods and services payment.

- your account is new at receiving goods and services payments

- haven’t received payments in a long time or unusual activity for your account

- because PayPal detects high value or highly risky transactions

- change in products/services being sold

- received numerous complaints, disputes from customers or other users

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@EmbeddedJW 

@sharpiemarker 

If its money SENT then its a friends/family payment funded from a bank account as an echeque.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too
Solved

EmbeddedJW
Contributor
Contributor

All - I am so sorry.  On April 26 when I initiated the send of $4000.00 from the wrong bank, I got an email that said the transaction had been declined and would be resent.  I wired the money into that account and the retry happened on September 2.  What I didn't realize is that the money had been received on April 26 - I am not sure how, I did have a backup funding source, a credit card, but I got no notice or anything and, besides, with a credit card there would have been a fee.  Anyway the money had been there all along.

I am so sorry for wasting your valuable time, thank you for your help.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.