Partner fee

Claire-Stacey
Contributor
Contributor

I need some help please. What is a partner fee? Nothing mentioned before payment was made. Would of chosen another payment method had I known I would get charged two fees.

Login to Me Too
20 REPLIES 20
Solved

SFOF
New Community Member

Partner fees are seller fees assessed by the website an item is sold from and are not part of the fees for using our services to receive money.

"by the website an item is sold from".. for me,  this is ebay. Ebay takes all their fees in other ways so this is not coming from ebay and ebay directs me to paypal. . How can i find who is taking this money out of my account. I says to find it in orders/ebay and it's not there, not hing i can find and any  questions regarding this Partner fee directs me to this answer. It feels like i am going in a circle

Login to Me Too

JMM64
Contributor
Contributor
Please see the answer from Unclewillie on 11-29-19. The partner fee is related to state and local taxes charged to a buyer. For instance, I sold an item through eBay to a person in New York for $33.99 plus charged $12.99 for shipping. Ebay automatically tacked on $4.17 (calculated based on the sales tax %, which is determined by the city in New York in which the buyer lives) in addition to my selling price for the item and the shipping cost I charged. So when I looked at my PayPal statement it showed $51.15 as the amount I received from the buyer ($33.99 + $12.99 + $4.17). The transaction immediately following this sale on my PayPal statement was the $4.17 being deducted from my account for eBay to remit to New York. New York makes sure their residents pay tax on everything purchased; in state and online. Every state doesn’t do this. However, I believe there is a spot on income tax forms to self-report your out of state purchases. Don’t quote me on this last paragraph, as I am not a tax advisor. Hope this helps!
Login to Me Too

LMN118
Contributor
Contributor

As posted above it is sales tax collected by eBay from some US States, Australia and New Zealand. Why eBay decided to do it this way to that the sales tax is then subject to fees for the seller is unknown. 

More than likely it is either malicious to pad out Paypal fees, or it is just pure stupidity on their part. Probably the latter as eBay are not run by the sharpest of minds. 

Login to Me Too

skedlo
New Community Member
Thank you for the detailed message. My only question to anyone, especially eBay, would be why is eBay collecting taxes when they don’t pay any for each seller. It would take forever to put together tax records for every single seller as well as put together all the 1099‘s. They are collecting the taxes but not paying them to anyone because it’s all of our responsibility as the sellers. So if you go to do your taxes and you included your eBay sales you will be paying taxes twice, but the tax money collected by eBay only went to eBay.
Login to Me Too

Timberrock
Contributor
Contributor
My partner fee seems to be the tax collected by eBay.
Login to Me Too

xfiercepridex
Contributor
Contributor
I do not understand this at all. I am charged a paypal fee and now a partner fee (supposedly according to you from ebay) but yet ebay is charging me separately for selling. So how could the partner fee be the selling fee from ebay? And if this is the case I wont be using paypal anymore. I should not be charged twice. A 99 cent transaction with $6 shipping is being accessed at the full fee from paypal as it is. Which in all honesty shouldnt be happening either cause paypal charging fee against shipping price as well not the actual transaction. Then this “partner fee” thats new to me as I sold stuff on ebay before and didnt have this. And then ebay themselves charging me for selling the item. so now that 99cent transaction put me in the red because I didnt make nothing between shipping, paypal fee, partner fee and ebay fee. Which means I basically paid for the person to take the item at a cost to me. Isnt ebay and paypal around so we can actually attempt to get money not lose money. Bunch of con artists.
Login to Me Too

Nike11
Contributor
Contributor
Yes. Same to me. Im in red with transactions! Just don’t understand
Login to Me Too

Fafino
Hi, I usually receive money for selling vinyls on Discogs who already charges a fee for every transaction. I don’t see why PayPal gets more than 10% of the amount that I receive from the buyer as I don’t have any kind of service provided from PayPal.
Login to Me Too

MIAW22
Contributor
Contributor

I too am here as I have just discovered I am being charged a partner fee for Discogs transactions.  This is in additional to the transaction cost for the processing of the payment.

Please can someone explain why I am being charged this as it makes no sense to me?

Login to Me Too

courier77
Contributor
Contributor

I too sell discs on Discogs, surely we can add these charges on our Discogs for sale if we are being charged by Discogs plus the 2 charges from Paypal. Also, at what percentage of the sale are paypal calculating the 'partner fee'

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.