No record of Paypal to Coinbase transfer

glenn_n
Contributor
Contributor

I am able to fund PayPal account from a bank checking account. Coinbase is able to transfer money from my PP account, but has no knowledge of my bank account.

I transferred around $500 from PP to Coinbase. I still had plenty of funds in PP.

A day later my bank checking account shows a transfer of approximately $57, labeled as "PAYPAL TRANSFER 452038 COINBASEINC". Evidently this is money going from bank to PayPal at the request of PayPal, but it is ultimately going from PayPal to Coinbase.

The funny thing is that PP shows no such transaction and Coinbase also shows no such transaction!

Does anyone know what's going on here?

I will try to get help from PP and Coinbase on this, but don't have much hope.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_Martin

Hi @glenn_n

Welcome to our Community and thank you for your post!

As this would appear to be a bank funded transaction processed by PayPal linked to a payment to Coinbase. It should be easy to locate on your account. Please note a bank account can only be used on one account as a funding source. Please check your activity section and click on the details for each recent transaction to Coinbase , at least all payments from 5 -7 day prior to the date the payment left your bank account. It could be that you had a balance on the PayPal account and the bank was used to cover the difference in a payment made to Coinbase. You also have the option to download you transaction history in this section of your account for more clarity,

If you still cannot locate the payment please reach out to Customer Support using the option found in the Help section of your account. 

Thanks

Martin

Login to Me Too

glenn_n
Contributor
Contributor

Yesterday I was able to talk to a customer rep at PayPal - and I did not have to wait long and she was very helpful. My puzzle was cleared up in minutes.

As you suggested, I did not have enough funds in PP to cover the transfer to Coinbase. 

So how did this go wrong?

1. I had requested a transfer of $1,000 from checking to PP. Within a few hours PP showed me that the funds were in my account. Evidently this was not true.
  2. I then made a smaller transfer to Coinbase. PP made the transfer, then "discovered" that my previous PP balance was evidently short by $57.82. So PP transferred this amount from my bank checking. None of my activity records in PP showed this. But the PP rep was able to unravel it.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.