Money sent to deactivated email- can i retrieve with transaction ID from client?

shellsings
Contributor
Contributor

A client sent money to an old email that used to be associated with this account. That email is inactive. They received payment received email with payee transaction ID, Can Paypal retrieve the funds with that information?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@shellsings 

If its the old email address then if you still own it then 'add' it to your paypal account as you can have up to 8 on the 1 paypal account and the funds should show, if not then................

You need to contact your buyer and ask them to see what it says in their paypal accounts either:
1. Pending / Unclaimed with a cancel option.
2. Pending / Unclaimed.
3 Completed.

If its:
Pending / Unclaimed with a cancel option.

Ask them to cancel the payment but tell them that it will take a few days to go back to their funding source. Then get them to use the "send money" > Goods/Services option and pay to your correct email address. They may not want to do this and so you could then cancel the transaction. OR you can send them a money request.

Pending / Unclaimed.

If there is no cancel option then the buyer will get their money back automatically 30 days after paying.
Again they may not want to pay you again until they get their money back so you may need to cancel the transaction for them.

Completed.

If its completed then come back for more advice.
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ1467

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@shellsings 

If its the old email address then if you still own it then 'add' it to your paypal account as you can have up to 8 on the 1 paypal account and the funds should show, if not then................

You need to contact your buyer and ask them to see what it says in their paypal accounts either:
1. Pending / Unclaimed with a cancel option.
2. Pending / Unclaimed.
3 Completed.

If its:
Pending / Unclaimed with a cancel option.

Ask them to cancel the payment but tell them that it will take a few days to go back to their funding source. Then get them to use the "send money" > Goods/Services option and pay to your correct email address. They may not want to do this and so you could then cancel the transaction. OR you can send them a money request.

Pending / Unclaimed.

If there is no cancel option then the buyer will get their money back automatically 30 days after paying.
Again they may not want to pay you again until they get their money back so you may need to cancel the transaction for them.

Completed.

If its completed then come back for more advice.
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ1467

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

shellsings
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you. Since the email is no longer valid and deactivated, paypal could not verify so payments didn’t go through. I contact the client and they paid to correct address. Paypal also was able to activate the email on their site again just in case. Thanks for the answer!!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.