Money received pending

tpstriper
Contributor
Contributor
How long does it take if it says I've received money from a friend but yet it still says pending and it doesn't give me an actual date when it's going to clear
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

ali_3
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @tpstriper,

Welcome to the PayPal community! I'm sorry to learn that the funds you received from your friend are in pending status and you are not able to see a date when they might be available. I'd advise you to try it on a different device, most likely a laptop or a desktop, to check on the transaction details and the estimated time of clearing. There could be a few scenarios for why your funds are being held. 

1 - They could be on hold if you received it as a goods/service payment. 
You can refer to this help-center article to learn more about how to get it released sooner. 

2 - It could be an eCheck, which means it is an electronic payment funded by the sender's bank account. It usually takes up to 7 business days for an eCheck to clear, but sometimes it may take longer.

3 - The payment might be held for a review by our automated system, this is only to ensure that both sender's and receiver's accounts are secured and allow a risk-free transaction. 

If you would like more details on this particular transaction, I'd recommend reaching out to our Customer Support teams by clicking "Contact" at the bottom of any PayPal page for further assistance.

I hope this helps!

- Ali

Login to Me Too

kcditto
Contributor
Contributor

Hah!  I am going to stop using paypal for anything other than Ebay purchases.  I have been a customer of Paypal for almost 20 years!  Suddenly I can't receive money as a gift from someone without Paypal treating it as a sale, discounting the amount and placing it on a hold on the money with no release date mentioned!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @kcditto

Welcome to the PayPal Community! I'm sorry to hear there's been some confusion receiving a friends and family payment on your business account. After a recent update last year, Business accounts are no longer able to receive Personal (friends / family) payments. You're welcome to look into downgrading your account if you feel that would be the best option for your account. You may also want to keep this account as a Business account and open a Personal account if you think that would be a better option. 

Best wishes!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.