Money on hold, Canada to US

GaryLD
Contributor
Contributor
Last week me and a guy made a deal on FB Marketplace, everything went smooth. I live in US, he lives in Canada, the package was shipped to a friend of his house in Arizona because shipping was almost $100. Again, went smooth. I uploaded tracking from USPS to PayPal app (we used G&S) and it was delivered earlier today. However, my money is still on hold. He got pics of the items, is happy, we're in contact, everything is good. My question is why has it been a whole week to get the money? I understand some time for conversion, but 6 - 7 days? Every other transaction is good, no blips, is it ever going to be released?
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@GaryLD 

Yes you did say it was goods and services BUT in that case you would have been provided with an address which is why I queried whether that was really the case.

Also as I already said tracking has to show delivery to the buyers PayPal registered address which it won't as you sent it to another.

So if the buyer confirms receipt you get it 7days post confirmation from the buyer OR 21 days.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@GaryLD 

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/my-payment-is-on-hold.-why-is-this-happening-faq3297

Just remember you would lose any dispute for non receipt of item as you did not send to the Paypal registered address of the buyer.

With payments received for tangible goods Paypal would request valid tracking information confirming the item has been delivered to the Paypal registered address of the buyer. They can validate the tracking information online, so once it is delivered they can release the funds.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

GaryLD
Contributor
Contributor
It never showed the address, it has always showed right below the payment details. I can't snapshot it because security reasons. And yes, it's delivered and still on hold.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@GaryLD 

In that case were you charged a fee?

Only if not and there was no address then it would have been a friend/family payment.

If so then..

Its against Paypal rules to accept a family / friends payment for selling goods and you risk your Paypal account being limited if you do so.

A buyer would not be able to open a Paypal dispute for non-receipt of item or item not as described as they would have no Paypal buyer protection.

However they can still open a dispute for an unauthorised transaction OR do a chargeback (via their card issuer) and you may well lose as you would have no Paypal seller protection.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

GaryLD
Contributor
Contributor
I thought I put that in my OP, yes it was through Goods and Services. I'm newer to b/s and I absolutely want every transaction to be PayPal Goods and Services, no matter what. But to wait a full 7 days, the buyer knows it was delivered, tracking updated, it's a bit ridiculous.
Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@GaryLD 

Yes you did say it was goods and services BUT in that case you would have been provided with an address which is why I queried whether that was really the case.

Also as I already said tracking has to show delivery to the buyers PayPal registered address which it won't as you sent it to another.

So if the buyer confirms receipt you get it 7days post confirmation from the buyer OR 21 days.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

GaryLD
Contributor
Contributor
I understand all that but PayPal refused to provide me an address and according to the buyer he put that address on there anyway because he's been burned by PayPal before. I'm not going to get into consequences or policy or whatever, that's on the buyer, I did my duty the correct way with the information I had. I called PayPal and yes I need to wait another 2 weeks. It's frustrating, ridiculous and absurd as a seller. If PayPal won't change the policy then we should get a small kickback because it's interest lost. So will this happen again in the future with US and only US currency? Does PayPal do this whenever they feel like? Is it a dollar amount (because one of my first sales was more than this one)? These are rhetorical, I'm just frustrated at this point. Thank you @kernowlass for taking the time to talk with me and try to find a solution to my dilemma, I do appreciate it. I'll stick to just US clients in the future and hopefully won't have a problem.
Login to Me Too

judyvu88
Contributor
Contributor

if u used usps or fedex u need wait 21 days , because paypal not support usps to paypal release money @GaryLD 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.