Money not showing in friend’s account

Capyboppy1
Contributor
Contributor
I sent $5 to a friend in America- I am in England. I heard nothing from them so I messaged the friend. They checked their account and there was nothing showing. When I contacted PayPal, they said the transaction showed as ‘Complete.’ My friend has contacted PayPal at her end and has got nowhere with them; not even a reply. I know it’s a tiny amount but it’s a matter of principle now. I feel I can no longer trust PayPal when it comes to international transactions. Advice please on what to do next.
Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Capyboppy1 

Check if you sent it to the right person if you use PayPal’s auto-fill suggestions because they could be incorrect sometimes or you selected the wrong person by mistake. Keep in mind that buyer protection does not apply personal payments.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Capyboppy1
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. It definitely went to the correct person. I sent my friend screenshots and double checked it was the same email address as I had sent money to her before. That was why I contacted Paypal after double checkilng in case she had changed something significant.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Capyboppy1 

Did you send in USD?

Has your friend received funds before?

Do they have a balance account OR would the funds have been auto withdrawn to their bank account?

If they received GBP have they set up their account to receive that currency?

Have they confirmed their email address?

Have they verified their paypal account by adding and confirming a bank account?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Capyboppy1
Contributor
Contributor

Sent in pounds but it was converted to dollars upon sending. (I adjusted the pounds amount so it would come to $5

Has your friend received funds before?  - Yes, defiinitely.

Do they have a balance account OR would the funds have been auto withdrawn to their bank account? To the best of my knowledge it would have been a balance account as she has always had notification from Paypal that it is there, whereupon she has always thanked me.

If they received GBP have they set up their account to receive that currency? She would have received it in dollars as Paypal converted the pounds to dollars (this amount showed in dollars).

Have they confirmed their email address? - I presume so as it was the same email address as I have sent to before and I checked with her that it was the same after the 'non-arrival.'

Have they verified their paypal account by adding and confirming a bank account? - That I don't know. But as she has always received funds before from me, would it be an issue?

Login to Me Too

nhedayati73
New Community Member
a friend of mine sent me 900$ and it's been 6 days but I still haven't received the money. I messaged paypal but they didn't reply and we double checked everything. I have no idea what do. I really needed the money.
Login to Me Too

Capyboppy1
Contributor
Contributor
That’s dreadful. Have you tried phoning PayPal? That’s what I ended up doing and they told me to get my friend (in America) to phone customer services. I am still waiting though to hear if she got anywhere as she has been unwell. I intend messaging her later. I’m sure though if she had been successful she would have told me. Sadly it will be the last PayPal transaction done to America via friends and family for me.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Iris

Hello @nhedayati73 & @Capyboppy1,

Welcome to PayPal Community! I realize that dealing with obstacles on your account can be overwhelming and I will do my best to assist. Receiving payments differs from country to country as regulations are not the same in each location. If you have already reviewed your account and are still having trouble with a payment, the best suggestion is to have Customer Support take a deeper dive to review things further. 

In your case, @Capyboppy1, the receiver may be experiencing one of several possible issues that could prohibit the payment from being received. They will need to contact Customer Support too if they haven't already. 

You can reach Customer Support by clicking Contact and then Message Us (when available) at the bottom of the PayPal website. They're also available through Twitter direct message or Facebook instant message. I hope this helps! 

Iris
If you find this post helpful, feel free to provide kudos or accept a post as a solution to help make our community better.
Login to Me Too

Capyboppy1
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Iris.

As I have already stated. Both of us have contacted Customer Services and got nowhere. I will ask her once again and also ask her can she tell me exactly what Customer Services have said that is so unhelpful?  I shall post here when I get a reply. She too has got very fed up with this as she os not a well person at all.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.