I've looked for over an hour and I want to scream (Can't find Preapprovement Payments on account)

Omegawat
Contributor
Contributor

I've scoured google multiple times over the past few days to no avail. All of the directions for finding where you can see your preapproved payments are either completely outdated and/or refer to buttons that my portal doesn't have. I'm both practically frustrated to tears at this point and seriously want to punch something.

I'm computer savvy and spend most of my life on the internet. Why is something that should be so simple be this hard to access!?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

Omegawat
Contributor
Contributor

That's not what I'm looking for. Maybe it's a preauthorized payment I'm looking for, but everything I read seemed to indicate that they're one-in-the-same. Either way, I still can't find it lol.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Omegawat 

Are you looking for a transaction or the setting to cancel recurring payment/subscription?

The links I posted should be were subscriptions, billing agreements, payments that you pre-approve/pre-authorize are listed for changing payment methods or deactivating.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Omegawat
Contributor
Contributor

It's not a recurring payment, no. It's a preauth for a preordered item that they're only now collecting the payment in the next few days. The preauth happened back in February, but once it dropped off there's hide nor hair of it.

On the other hand, I do have a recurring payment to a tutorial site every three months that -also- doesn't show up on that page.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Omegawat wrote:

It's not a recurring payment, no. It's a preauth for a preordered item that they're only now collecting the payment in the next few days. The preauth happened back in February, but once it dropped off there's hide nor hair of it.

On the other hand, I do have a recurring payment to a tutorial site every three months that -also- doesn't show up on that page.

Oh, I see. Yeah, pre-auth could expire and disappear on your end if the merchant doesn’t reauthorize to extend it beyond 30 days since transaction took place in February. Contact the merchant to see if they can still find and reauthorize the original authorization or order, otherwise you may have to repay to start another authorization.

This may give some explanation:

https://developer.paypal.com/docs/admin/auth-capture/

Did you search your account activity back in February to see if it’s still there? Or look for the PayPal email receipt for the transaction ID url, click it to see if it’ll pull up the transaction.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Omegawat
Contributor
Contributor

There's no need to have them renew it since it's the way it's worked in the past with them - they do the preauth, then the charge hits when they collect months later. There's no record of the preauth at all in my completed transactions, same with my quarterly charge for the other site (which you would think would at least show up under my recurring/subscription payments seeing as it is one). It used to be that you could find them on your account a few years back, but after PayPal updated everything it's impossible to find again - if it even still exists.

UPDATE: Found it, finally. Had to go to Activity -> click Statements -> Custom -> Activity download, then set your date ranges and put in a search term. So, they do the preauth to verify the account is legit, then cancel the preauth. Once payment time comes around, they do their billing and it hits the preauthorized account automatically.

I still say it shouldn't be this difficult to find this info. At least if anyone else has that question, it's out there on how I found it, lol.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.