I sent money to the wrong individual and I need to get it back

mwhuskins1
Contributor
Contributor

I accidentally sent money to the wrong person who had a similar username as the person I was trying to reach.  I have contacted this person, but have received no response.  I tried to report a problem to PayPal, but there was no "standard" option to choose from that matched my issue.  How do I get my money back?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mwhuskins1 

Would help if you said which option you used to send the funds + how you funded the paypal payment + what it says on the transaction on your paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

mwhuskins1
Contributor
Contributor

It was a Friends and Family transaction.  I was able to get my issue resolved.  Thanks so much for responding!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Bindu

Hello @mwhuskins1,

Welcome to our community page and thank you for your post!

I do understand your concern about your funds sent to a wrong account. If the payment status is Completed, you need to ask the recipient to send you a refund. If you don’t receive a refund, you can open a dispute with PayPal for not receiving any order for particular payment within the timeframe noted in the transaction details. You can refer this link on how to report the payment in the resolution center of your PayPal account.

You can't open a dispute for payments sent as "Family and Friends". The Purchase Protection program doesn't apply to personal payments. You can also reach out to our team by clicking the contact us option at the bottom of PayPal page or send us a message through our Twitter(@AskPayPal) and Facebook page for additional assistance.

I hope this information helps, have a great day!

Bindu

If you feel this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

mwhuskins1
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your help.  This information was very helpful!  My issue has been resolved.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.