I sent money to a inactive account, how do I get the money back.

1diggyboo-
Contributor
Contributor

I sent money to Alina give account how do I get the money back

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@1diggyboo- 

What does it say next to the transaction in your Paypal account?

1. Pending (with a clearance date on both Paypal accounts
= Echeque and will clear on approx that date.

2. Pending/Unclaimed with a cancel option
= email address spelling error, as that email address is invalid it can't be linked to a Paypal account, so cancel it.

3. Pending/Unclaimed without a cancel option
= email address is valid but not yet linked to a Paypal account. Will time out 30 days post payment if not claimed by someone opening a Paypal account when it may COMPLETE.

4. Payment/Completed or Sent
= you may have to raise a dispute for non receipt if that person won't refund the funds. However if its a family/friends payment then you won't have that option and may have to contact your card issuer if you funded your Paypal payment that way.

5. Pending awaiting authorisation
= normally to a company and will complete when they capture the payment and process your order. If they don't it should time out 30 days post payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

1diggyboo-
Contributor
Contributor
It shows payment completed. I opened a dispute but it was declined
Login to Me Too

TonyTam
Contributor
Contributor

Chanses are there is no such address existing and/or bined with any PayPal account.

You will get your funds back automatically in 30 days.

Or you could click a link "Report about transaction" in details to sort things out.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@TonyTam 

The O.P has already said the payment is showing as COMPLETED so it has to have transferred to a valid email attached to an open paypal account.

If it was going to be returned at 30 days it would show as pending / unclaimed.

@1diggyboo- 

Which dispute did you open? If it was one for unauthorised then sadly it would close as you did make the transaction.

Did you open a dispute for non receipt of item as that account had nothing to send you?

If not then contact customer services and they may open the correct dispute for you (they will only consider doing so if you opened a dispute for unauthorised by mistake). 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

1diggyboo-
Contributor
Contributor
It was for a unauthorized payment
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@1diggyboo- 

A dispute for an unauthorised transaction is telling paypal that your account was hacked and used without your consent to make that transaction.
Paypal would check IP addresses and devices and close the dispute if it was you that made the transaction.

You are only allowed 1 dispute per transaction so the only way you can get a second dispute opened is to contact Paypal (when and if you can) and see if they will open a second dispute for you.
They may decline citing policies but if you say what happened then they might open a second dispute for you.

If not then if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then consider contacting your card issuer and see if they will help you with a chargeback?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.