I issued a refund PayPal still charged me fee

PymWym
Contributor
Contributor

I have had a business account for many years (with less than 1 transaction is the last few years). I've been using the account for personal use. 

Recently PayPal changed their policies, and now anytime anyone sends me money, PayPal charges a fee (even for Friends & Family). 

I just received a few thousand $ from an individual, PayPal automatically marked it as for "Goods" and charged a hefty fee. I issued a refund. Now PayPal went & withdrew the entire amount from my checking account, even though I had not transferred the balance to my bank account. PayPal continues to charge me a fee for a transaction that has been refunded. 

What do I need to do to get this corrected? 

Thanks! 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@PymWym 

Paypal no longer returns the fee you were charged when your buyer paid as part of any refund that you issue.
Paypal processes your buyers original payment and then the refund for you, the fee is for providing that service.

Paypal announced policy changes a while ago of which you would have had an email telling you that you can no longer accept friends/family payments on a business account.

As you would not have had the full amount to refund in your balance as the fee had been charged then paypal would have taken the amount from your bank account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

PymWym
Contributor
Contributor

But this is just someone who sent me a friends and family payment. PayPal miscategorized it as "Goods" 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@PymWym 

They didn't send you a friends/family payment as you can no longer receive a friends/family payment so the payment would have been received as a goods/services payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.