I accidentally paid a wrong email address and payment went through. How do I get my money back?

CarrieAnneBhmn
New Community Member
I accidentally paid a wrong email address and the payment has already gone through. How can I get my money back?
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

cress1
New Community Member

I think you can Contact Customer Support here: https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/contact-us , That's the only way based on my experience. I hope this help.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@CarrieAnneBhmn 

What does it say next to the transaction in your Paypal account?

1. Pending / Unclaimed with a cancel option.
2. Pending / Unclaimed.
3 Completed.

If its:
Pending / Unclaimed with a cancel option.

Cancel the payment.

Pending / Unclaimed.

If there is no cancel option then the money will time out automatically at 30 days after paying IF it remains unclaimed.

Completed.

If its completed then firstly reach out to the recipient and state the funds were sent by mistake and request a refund.

If they were charged a fee then offer to accept a part refund minus that fee or they would end up paying the fee as it is not returned as part of any refund that they issue.

If they refuse to refund then if you sent using the goods/services option open a dispute for non receipt of item (as they have nothing to send you) and you should get a refund.

If you sent using friends/family then sadly nothing you can do, you can ask customer services to reach out to the recipient but they can't force them to refund a friends/family payment as that is a 'gift' of money sent. 

If still no luck then if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help BUT if its a f/f payment they may refuse as well as they tend to cover goods/services payments only. 

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ1467

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.