How to verify email address is a paypal address in order to send surprise funds.

dougc-3
Contributor
Contributor

Need to verify that my friend's email address works with paypal in order to send surprise funds.  I'm a bit afraid to just try to send the money to his personal email address, but perhaps it would be safe even if it is not the address he uses with PayPal (ie, just not work).  Would it be OK to test it by trying to send money?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dougc-3 

If you send to an email address that your friend owns but is not a confirmed PayPal email address of theirs, they can add and confirm that email address to their PayPal account to claim the money. Nevertheless, PayPal will send an email to inform that a payment is waiting for them.

It’s difficult to look up a contact as people can hide from being searched in PayPal profile privacy settings and it might not always be accurate especially if common name. You can experiment in the ‘recipient field’ with email addresses, names, PayPal @names or user ID, or phone numbers.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dougc-3 

If you send to an email address that your friend owns but is not a confirmed PayPal email address of theirs, they can add and confirm that email address to their PayPal account to claim the money. Nevertheless, PayPal will send an email to inform that a payment is waiting for them.

It’s difficult to look up a contact as people can hide from being searched in PayPal profile privacy settings and it might not always be accurate especially if common name. You can experiment in the ‘recipient field’ with email addresses, names, PayPal @names or user ID, or phone numbers.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

dougc-3
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks very much for the helpful info! I was not aware that I could test the email in the recipient field!  That should solve my problem!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.