How to retrieve donation from blocked account?

mcb1984
Contributor
Contributor

I recently made a donation to an e-mail address. The person who I donated the amount to, told me that their Paypal account is blocked, thus they can't collect the donated amount.

I checked my bankaccount & Paypal account, the amount has definitely been deducted from my bankaccount. How can I possibly retrieve my donation, now that the other party can't collect it?

Thank you for your help!

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mcb1984 

What does it say on the transaction in your paypal account?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

mcb1984
Contributor
Contributor

It says "Money Sent" in the Transaction Details, along with other details such as which type of card I payed with, the Transaction ID and such.
And if I try to message the person, it says "You're unable to send this user a message".

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mcb1984 

Money 'sent' means you have sent a friends/family payment ie gift payment to an email address that is linked to an active paypal account and the money has completed to that email address/account. The account can't be blocked if the funds were received.

Check the email address you sent it to and make sure it was correct without any spelling errors. 

Be careful because scammers tell you to send funds that way and then pretend that they didn't receive them knowing there is little you can do about it.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

mcb1984
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the information and help! The e-mail address which I used is the correct one & the money did transfer to their Paypal account.
But I guess, since their account is blocked, the money stays there?

I'm a bit confused on how Paypal works when such a situation occurs? I presume that Paypal won't refund, even though neither parties have access to the donation?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.