How to get refund of postage due to COVID restrictions

eklein23
Contributor
Contributor

I used PayPal to create a shipping label for a package sent from the US to Australia.  The shipment was returned to me as undeliverable due to COVID restrictions.  The buyer is willing to wait until the restrictions are lifted, so there's no need to file a dispute.  However, I need a refund for the postage that I paid to PayPal.  How can I accomplish this?

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

BobBundy
Contributor
Contributor

I also had a shipment to Australia which was just returned "Mail Service Suspended".

The usps.com/help/claims.htm said to get refund through PayPal since I purchased postage there.

I can't seem to find anywhere to start the claim process. ... Bob

Login to Me Too

marlinespike
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here. I phoned PayPal help and the rep was ver unhelpful and said PayPal had no way of refunding the postage. Meanwhile the USPS website sends people who purchased their labels through PayPal back to PayPal. 

Login to Me Too

RocketCity
Contributor
Contributor
Same problem here too -- I filed a refund claim and it was denied, they're saying an unused label will be refunded in 30 days. I responded to their denial and explained it's NOT an unused label, it was used and the package was transported around and then eventually returned, and that USPS specifically states to seek a refund (again, because it was used), but PayPal replied back with the exact same response. They are not listening or understanding. I now have 3 packages returned that were headed to Australia & NZ. I'm going to lose a lot of money if they continue to refuse to help. 😞
Login to Me Too

RT40
Contributor
Contributor

I have this exact same issue (New Zealand, not Australia however).

I used the Paypal chat service and sent them this link. Jesus applied a voucher to my account in the amount of my purchase. So, try again and send them to this discussion (be sure to include the amount you paid and the transaction number). 

It took two tries, but was done in less than an hour. Thanks Jesus!

Login to Me Too

RocketCity
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the advice, I worked it through the chat and got all four of my charges refunded.  Phew.

Note: it required pictures of the boxes with the Mail Service Suspended stickers on them, so have your camera ready.

Login to Me Too

MikeStaub311
Contributor
Contributor

Where do I find  the Paypal chat service?  I too need a label refund that been sent back that was mailed out on Oct 10th

Login to Me Too

RocketCity
Contributor
Contributor

@MikeStaub311 -- Go to https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/contact-us ... then down near the bottom you should see a speech bubble icon and "Message Us".  Click that, and a chat window should appear.  You'll need to navigate the automated assistant, but eventually it won't be able to answer you and it'll pass the messages on to a real person who can then look into it and message you back.

If they ask for your photo of the label, you can upload it directly in the chat window.

Good luck!

Login to Me Too

K9gal
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to contact PP via chat, and even uploaded a photo of the Service Suspended label, but no luck.  The customer service rep told me that PayPal's labels are serviced by Ship Station, so I'd need to request a refund through Ship Station.  My account is with PayPal, not SS, so I think PP is wrong.  Now what??

Login to Me Too

robertleetsp
New Community Member

Thank you all for posting this.  I'm running into the same issue.  However, I tried to do the chat and it said it would send my message to a chat agent, so it's not a live chat.  Hoping I can resolve this through their messaging system somehow.

And to the person that mentioned ShipStation - I think that was a very recent change in which shipping labels purchased via PP are now through shipstation, so if your labels are older, then I'd let the person know it wasn't done through shipstation.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.