How to change "we'll use your balance first" for payments

karenevanspics
New Community Member

I do not want PayPal using my balance first. I have automatic payment accounts set up to charge my credit card, but I see that even though it says in the specific account that payments will come from my credit card, underneath where it says that, it says "we'll use your balance first." It says that on all my automatic accounts even though I have credit card payment selected. How do I stop PayPal from using my balance first? I want all charges to be paid only by credit card, not my PayPal balance. Any ideas? Thanks!

Login to Me Too
48 REPLIES 48

EvBond
Contributor
Contributor

I am in the same boat here and am livid. I trawled through an exported csv file of 407 rows trying to establish which expenses were taken from my PP balance rather than my preferred funding source. Many hours wasted when I am so busy! Not cool! This is for business related purchases to give to my accountant so I guess the best thing to do is open a Business PP account and only ever use that account for businesss purchases and then it doesn't matter which funding source PP chooses to use. It must be the way vendors set up their shops that some customer journeys have the funding source option and some just take it off your PP balance without giving you the option. My accountant is deriding me for using personal money but I cannot control it - it's insane. I am a one man tiny graphic design business so always thought it unnecessary to open a PP business account but I think I may have to - PP is not very transparent with the costs associated with this but I assume it will not be cheap - does anyone here have a Business and personal account and does that work for them?

Login to Me Too

THAIAUXN
Contributor
Contributor

Now I understand what happened.

Why was money from my paypal balance used along with my debit card?

I needed to pay a contractor for my business and used the company debit to do it. But when I checked out my account later to find out why my personal funds weren't there for personal expenses, paypal had, without my consent or information, used *all of my balance* and finished with the debit card!

Come on, man. When did this start? I've done this twice before and it always used just the debit, not my paypal balace. This time it wiped me out, and now I have to stop using paypal all together. Ridiculous.

Login to Me Too

sgehrman

PayPal is ignoring this issue obviously.

I'm trying to set up an account with Chargebee.  I just got off the phone with them asking them why their PayPal integration is completely broken, but it seems this is just bugs in PayPal.  

Why does PayPal have so many bugs and why to they refuse to fix any of them?

Login to Me Too

AASI-JER

This is absolutely intentional.

1. Any paypal balance you have is a liability on paypals books, they want to reduce liabilities as much as possible, forcing you to use it reduces their liabilities
2. Anytime a card is used I am sure they are charged fees or have some cost, I doubt the final seller pays them all, even if they pay paypal a fee if paypal can get your money without paying a fee then that entire fee they receive is profit.

This is not for you, it is for them and its bull

Login to Me Too

ErickES7
Contributor
Contributor

The solution @HonorBound shared works!

In short, you can't disable "Use balance first" for all subscriptions set up with PayPal, you have to disable "use balance first" when you set up each subscription. Therefore, as @HonorBound mentioned, I had to go to every subscription previously set up and redo each one

Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 2.23.00 PM.png

FYI: @kernowlass@karenevanspics@HonorBound's response should be the proposed solution

Login to Me Too

JivanP
Contributor
Contributor

@ErickES7 At least for UK users, this is not an option. When an automatic payment is set up, no configuration options are presented, neither for whether to use PayPal balance first, nor for other things such as: (a) which non-PayPal-balance payment method to use; and (b) whether to have PayPal or the payment method provider perform any currency conversion (though these other things are configurable after initial set-up).

Instead, on PayPal UK, one goes to [Payments] > [Manage Automatic Payments] > [Automatic payment name] (e.g. "Spotify AB") > [Funding Source] and sees the following: "We'll use your balance first. Then we'll use: [chosen/preferred payment method]", being a clickable link allowing that chosen method to be changed. However, there is no way to prevent the PayPal balance from being given higher priority. See the attached screenshots:

Screenshot 1 — "Manage automatic payments"

Screenshot 2 — "Funding source"

Login to Me Too

NecrochildK
Contributor
Contributor

Same in the US here too. I got that option before to turn on using balance first, but now that I want to turn it back off, that page is gone whenever I go to adjust settings on the individual automatic payment account. After turning it on before, it took away the option to turn it back off.

Login to Me Too

janiceb777

Ok this works for me too! 

Login to Me Too

MsDanaGreenlee
New Community Member

Hi! After reading and trying all these suggestions all morning; I've finally found a solution. On your profile, next to the logout (the settings icon), click that & go to payments, automatic payments, then on the left- you have to click on each automatic payment (IE: Netflix) then on the right, it will show you how you pay & it also shows USE PAYPAL BALANCE FIRST. This is where you can deselect that option & choose your preferred selection. I hope this helps everyone 🙂

Login to Me Too

NecrochildK
Contributor
Contributor

I tried that, but it only allows you to save if you set up a card for automatic payment. Which means that any time you pay that particular store, it won't let you choose what you pay from, it just defaults to that one selected.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.