How to change Currency conversion option

BB_Shockwave
Contributor
Contributor

So, not sure if this helps... I can generally pay using not my local currency of HUF but in EUR or USD by selecting the option "pay in the seller's currency" in the Ebay popup window. But when I pay on Ebay, this is NOT in the popup.

I only found out now that I have to click the tiny letters "change currency" under the option where I select payment type on the left side of the screen in Ebay, before logging into paypal and opening the popup window. Then, it STILL shows my local HUF currency, but the option appears in the popup to switch to USD, and use the card conversion rates.

They sure are making this needlessly complicated.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

jarayama
Contributor
Contributor

It's complicated by design, a dark pattern to force an user mistake and pay their conversion rate.

Login to Me Too

Menaa888
Contributor
Contributor

Hey,

Thanks for sharing.  Your info might be useful for others who still insist on using PayPal.

I haven't used or bought anything from Ebay for several years now. Most of the (new) items which are sold on Ebay can bought elsewhere like AliExpress (Alibaba) and other online retailers. If a particular "Store" insists on using PayPal [only] as a method of payment, I avoid them. I also believe less people are using PayPal to transfer money to and from family members these days given most financial institutions offer free or near free e-transfers. 

Login to Me Too

BB_Shockwave
Contributor
Contributor

Kidding? Aliexpress is mostly selling knockoffs and yeah, I buy KO toys from there sometimes but that's all it is good for. Not for buying original G1 Transformers or other older toys. Maybe it is simpler to pay with card if you are within the USA but outside of it, Paypal is the best method for payment. I certainly prefer it to giving my card information to websites that can be hacked.

Login to Me Too

Menaa888
Contributor
Contributor
Delusional? If you think eBay doesn't either you probably believe Trump was America's best President, ever. Often the same items from the same vendor are sold at a markup on eBay. But it's alright. People these days prefer to fool themselves and shill others.
Login to Me Too

BB_Shockwave
Contributor
Contributor

It shows how you never even read my reply, or you would not get so political on me if you did and understood that I am NOT AMERICAN. I could not care less about what president you people have.

Unlike for you guys, for me I always get Paypal trying to pay in my country's currency using their conversion method. And this only comes up in non-hungarian payments since in my country pretty much nobody uses paypal, bank transfers are preferred.  However for sending money out of the country, I really have not seen anything that's cheaper. Definitely not in the mood to go back to the horrible convoluted ways of money transfer via Western Union in 2004 or so.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.