How do I change a payment from shipping to service or virtual product?

ebenroel
New Community Member

I recently got a PayPal Business account for my online teaching business. I offer a service and not a product that needs to be shipped. I paid myself twice using my personal paypal account to test how everything works for my students and to figure out how much the conversion fee would be.

I have two payments in my "Activity" tab now, but they're on hold for 21 days. I got this reason and I understand it:

Why your money is on hold

PayPal will withhold any money from sales because:
  • You’re new to PayPal, or we have limited selling history on this account.

How to access your money sooner

• Process 8 more payments for goods and services.
  • Process $176,45 USD more in sales.
  • Have no disputes for 56 more days.

BUT what I don't understand is that those payments are on shipping for some reason. It needs to always be a virtual service so how do I change it to that because these steps aren't working:

Here's how to add tracking information or update an order status: 

1. Go to your Activity
  2. Choose “All Transactions.” 
  3. Find the purchase you want to update, then click Get your money. If you sold a product, choose “Product” to add tracking information or print a shipping label. If you sold an intangible item or service, choose “Service or virtual product” to update the order status. You can update the order status to Completed, Pending, or Canceled. 
  4. Click Submit.

ALL I have to choose is "Add tracking", "refund", or "archive", I can't change it to "service or virtual product". I don't want to annoy my students with this either, whenever they pay it should be quick and easy without me needing to say order shipped (I'm not shipping anything???) and then them marking received on their side.

I tried to get through to customer support, but it's impossible and so difficult to reach PayPal, does anyone have a solution for this?

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

donrisi
Contributor
Contributor

I have the exact same problem -- I sell a service, not a product.  In the past, it was never a product invoice, always a service invoice.  For some reason it changed when I sent this last invoice. 

Login to Me Too

Brianlux
Contributor
Contributor
I'm having the same issue there's no option for service nowhere now I got two $2,000 on hold
Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @Brianlux and everyone, 

Welcome to the PayPal Community Forum! I can understand how payment holds can be a bit frustrating when you're unable to have them released as expected. If the steps in this Payment Holds article don't help, I would recommend reaching out to our Customer Support teams by clicking "Contact" at the bottom of any PayPal page, through Facebook PM, or through Twitter DM.

I hope they're able to help!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

SpookQuinn
New Community Member
PayPal articles have been zero help . It does not give the option AT ALL to change a payment to virtual products.
Login to Me Too

StillBaffled

When I hit contact us I only get the chat bot and it never even tries to answer the question. No option to message a human exists. 

Login to Me Too

KristenS42
New Community Member

So far the only work-around I've found is to use the Mark as Shipped option and tick the box that says something like "Tracking information not needed." It works, but it's clunky.

Login to Me Too

alyyyyy
Contributor
Contributor
Hello, after making the status “shipped” did you received your money right away? Hope u can help me. I have the same issue. Thank you!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.