Help! Sent to wrong person?

Frisco818
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I’m new to PayPal I’ve just sent a payment to the wrong email address I wrote .com istead of .co.uk is there any way I can get the money back?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

zabka
Contributor
Contributor

You should do this as soon as possible. Log on to your PayPal account and look at the payment  you sent. If the payment shows as "unclaimed" you can cancel it. There should be an option on the screen somewhere to do that. If the person has already received the notification email and has accepted the payment then I am not sure if you will be able to retrieve the payment back because I believe during any fund transfers the screen where you make the payment and enter the email address says to double check all information to make sure it is correct because once payment is accepted it is final. If the person has already accepted the payment, you could try to call PayPal to see if there is anything else that they can do to help you but I am really not sure to be honest. I hope it is still unclaimed and things work in your favor for you. All the best. Go log in now and see if it is unclaimed and try to cancel the pending payment.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9
Solved

zabka
Contributor
Contributor

You should do this as soon as possible. Log on to your PayPal account and look at the payment  you sent. If the payment shows as "unclaimed" you can cancel it. There should be an option on the screen somewhere to do that. If the person has already received the notification email and has accepted the payment then I am not sure if you will be able to retrieve the payment back because I believe during any fund transfers the screen where you make the payment and enter the email address says to double check all information to make sure it is correct because once payment is accepted it is final. If the person has already accepted the payment, you could try to call PayPal to see if there is anything else that they can do to help you but I am really not sure to be honest. I hope it is still unclaimed and things work in your favor for you. All the best. Go log in now and see if it is unclaimed and try to cancel the pending payment.

Login to Me Too

Frisco818
Contributor
Contributor
Done! Thank you
Login to Me Too

Mbreen17
Contributor
Contributor
What if it was done through a bank account transfer? There is no option to cancel that in PayPal.
Login to Me Too

zabka
Contributor
Contributor
If it was done through bank account transfer I believe there is no option to cancel because they are similar to Interac e transfers and are generally automatic. This is unfortunate. I would still contact PayPal to see if there is anything that can be done to stop or reverse payment as there may be something that they are aware of that I am not but this is my understanding of the bank transfer option. I do hope things work out for you.
Login to Me Too

nalcmama
New Community Member

Payment was claimed by the wrong person.  I tried to contact them by email and also requested payment from them to get my money back and no luck.  PayPal won't do anything about it.  Same name as my friend and was in my account.  Probably sent money another time or wouldn't be in my account.  Large sum that I am out of and it sucks that Pay Pal won't do anything to help.

Login to Me Too

Mbreen17
Contributor
Contributor
I did the same thing last April. I noticed I sent to the wrong person within minutes, contacted PayPal and my bank. PayPal would not help. I tried going to my bank as well to file a claim. They would not help either. I’ve been in contact with PayPal for almost a year, on and off, trying to get my money back, nothing. I’m furious with PayPal and will never use it again. However, I still haven’t given up on trying to resolve this.
Login to Me Too

mud_ville71
Contributor
Contributor

Sent money & the site auto changed to wrong person not my Daughter. No way to stop this either! Paypal is no help. File with Better Business Bureau!!! They (PayPal) are making too much money from people! I sent $$ to my Daughter, money went to someone I don't even know! 

Plus you can"t get hold of NO ONE! I'm furious too! 

Login to Me Too

Dawn122

This has just happened to me and I dunno what to do Imwill never use PayPal again 

Login to Me Too

Purplepurple1
Contributor
Contributor
Pay pal won't help me .I had the same thing happen to me .I was sending it to a car dealer for a down payment on a car I never entered an email address just the phone number and the name and PayPal sent it to a person with the same name and now he won't return the money won't respond to my emails and took his profile off Facebook and I'm out 2500 dollars and this person got away with it help !!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.