Has Anyone else received mysterious ShipStation charges?

ralphie2
Contributor
Contributor

ShipStation (S/S) is miserable. Never a problem with the Pitney Bowes system PayPal had before. I'm now getting mysterious charges on my PayPal (P/P) account from ShipStation that do not correspond with any label or adjustment fees. PayPal is useless too now, they say I have to deal with S/S for the issue! Hello! PayPal took on this system and they are the ones actually billing my account from S/S with no documentation showing what the charge is for, so they bear the responsibility of verifying the charge. P/P's old system showed every detail of the label transaction including tracking number, addressee and more. Now, nothing, just a transaction & invoice number that do not relate to any of the S/S numbers. This is insane! To make matters worse, there is no way to call S/S and their chat is useless. The banking commission is being contacted about this because neither P/P or S/S are taking the blame or correcting the problem. This is teetering on fraud. Looks like I'm going to back to the old Click n Ship on the USPS site. 

Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14

KiKiBeau
Contributor
Contributor

Pirate Ship is also available on Paypal instead of shipstation.

Login to Me Too

ralphie2
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, thanks! I switched to Pirate about a month ago and love it! ShipStation was a joke. I finally filed a complaint against them through the BBB and they admitted they were charging additional fees with no explanation. There was no way to keep your accounting straight with their platform. The digital age of banking and finance is going to implode at some point in my eyes

Login to Me Too

ricandcindy
Contributor
Contributor

How do you set-up PirateShip through PayPal. I'd like to switch from ShipStation . 

Login to Me Too

caliph33
Contributor
Contributor

I'm over a month late to respond but I ran into the same issue some weeks ago. I got a mysterious charge that PayPal automatically deducted and sent to ShipStation. There's no explanation anywhere to what the charge was. I have no subscriptions, no invoice, no details, and on the adjustments page for ShipSation, it doesn't show that I had any shipping adjustments. I tried to get help for it through PayPal but they kept pointing me to resolution center. So I tried the resolution center and they didn't have my exact problem so it was categorized as an unauthorized charge. After jumping security loops from PayPal to change my password (for no reason) since this is their shipping partner who charged me, they told me that I was the one who needs to be more "aware" about who I allow to bill me monthly. I told them that this is THEIR partner and there's no explanation for this charge. The agent told me that I don't "have to use ShipStation on PayPal". That was beyond the point. To this day, I never got a refund for this charge nor an explanation for what it was. I'm going to look for the alternative provided by the other person who commented and never use ShipStation again. I never had issues in the past with Paypal's previous shipping system.

Also, every time I need to make a label with them in the past, there was always some issue.

Login to Me Too

WillowsPillows
Contributor
Contributor

I have!

I do not buy or sell anything using my PayPal account, but mysteriously received 5 Ship Station charges on the same day on my PayPal account totaling over $20. It wouldn't be such a big deal, but this is money I do not have right now.

I received an email yesterday morning about it and I reported it to the PayPal phishing email thinking it was a scam, but when I received an actual notification on my bank account that a charge has been made through the PayPal Ship Station, that's when I logged into my PayPal account for the first time since December 2021 and saw the various charges. I have contacted both Ship Station about the fraudulent charges AND PayPal Support.

Unfortunately, I cannot file a dispute with my bank until charges are posted, so I hope they fixed the issue before it became a bigger issue.

Login to Me Too

NJNan
Contributor
Contributor

I had over $48 in mystery charges.  Just as you stated, with no explanation, no link to a package sent.  I'm trying to cancel the automated payments so they can't do this again and the only setting I can find is to cancel my whole account with them.  The Pitney Bowes system was awesome.  Why was this changed?  Probably because PP makes more money with this subpar system.  I've used Pirate Ship in the past and am now using it again.  Clear, concise, easy to use -- Done deal.  PP is going to lose a lot of $ on my shipping alone.

Login to Me Too

WillowsPillows
Contributor
Contributor

Fortunately, I contacted both customer support through PayPal and ShipStation (totally different customer service reps, I suppose) and I was charged for each transaction, but then they refunded me the exact amounts.

What was most concerning is that I never signed up for ShipStation or any company to ship out items as I do not have items to sell. However, I was signed up for it randomly some time between my last use of PayPal in December 2021 and May 2022. I removed my bank account information and my debit card.

This was all crazy. I simply signed up for PayPal because that was the only way to get paid when I was working my side gig with the Rover app (dog walking service). It's all fixed now, but boy, was that was a headache!

Login to Me Too

lorilovesroses
Contributor
Contributor
I just got an alert from my bank that PayPal took money out of my account for Shipstation. I've never even heard of the company and I don't sell items. Something extremely fishy is going on.
Login to Me Too

kdfisher
Contributor
Contributor

There's an alternative and I can bypass Ship Station? Wonderful. As somebody mentioned it's a book keeping mess.

I use USPS packaging exclusively for Priority Mail. Then I get these annoying additional charges where it explains my own packaging was used. They even give me a small credit now and then. They blame it on USPS and their USPS Automated Package Verification (APV)

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.